Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Limping from SB in general

For the past two months, I have been "experimenting" by never raising from the small blind if folded around to except for one condition: the BB folds to preflop aggression a high percentage of the time. This means I don't raise my pocket pairs, my top pair hands, my suited connectors, or offsuited connectors.

So why am I doing this? Well, I read an article two months ago in a poker magazine that stated that not raising from the small blind preflop will not hurt you in the long run. In the grand scheme of poker, the times you "should" raise would be a small mistake compared to the times you do raise OOP and end up in a difficult situation with more money on the line causing a large mistake. It was a very interesting article.

I have read a lot of posts where people advocate raising from the SB with decent hands. However, top pair hands are tough to play when the BB calls or re-raises and you don't hit the flop. Medium pocket pairs and connectors in general are tough to play out of position.

I totally understand that every situation is unique and depends on reads and your opponents stats. So, I will say in absence of reads, do you lose a lot of value by limping from the SB against the BB? Has anyone ever thought about this or is currently following this same philosophy? I would be very interested in hearing comments about this.