Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

Not really strategy overheard since donkey dissappeared after this hand without explaining.

MGM 2 nites ago 1-2NL donk has ~400, BB(good lag) has him covered. On the deal I saw a card that was deealt too high...informed the dealer...dealer gathers cards since a misdeal.
BB flips AJs face up back to dealer moaning that it was his strongest hand in hour and intended to farm the table with it. We all had a good laugh and dealer put out the next hand.
I mentioned to BB that prob he has 7-2o this time, but he loudly announces that I was close and that he had 7-4o. The entire table was listening.
6 limpers to the flop...it comes 774 and table erupts in laughter and BB is pissed because no way he gets paid here.

BB checks...EP open folds,couple other checks then CO bets out $15 and table erupts in laughter again...I thought CO/donk was doing this just as joke, but BB called and started to pay attention. Turn was 3rd club the 10...BB checks...donkey plays with his chips a few secs then fires $65 !!.

Of course BB calls...I'm thinking superdonk might have 10 10. River was ace...BB checks again....after 30 secs donk announces he's all in for like $300. No easy decision for BB but he makes the call and breaths a sigh of relief when uberdonk flips up A5c.

After laughter subsided we noticed donks seat was already empty...he disappeared.

Was good table.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also prefer leading the flop, as you do. i guess our disagreement is what happens if you do check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer betting basically because others will call, and might check if I check. If I thought I could get in a check raise, that would be fine.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1/2 NLHE live somewhere in LV. Standard loose table. Someone opens for $8, and another guy makes it $25. Folds back to original raiser who shoves for what was something like $200 (can't quite remember but it was plenty). The $25 guy folds AQ face up.

Some old guy pipes up with "Why bother reraising if you can't call an all-in?!?!?". He was genuinely angry and lectured us all for a good few minutes about how you should just call raises preflop so you can't be reraised off a hand. Brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how in tournaments he's pretty much absolutely correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. there's no such thing as a good player at 3/6

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I get sick of hearing retarded things like this.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Yesterday at Foxwoods, chatting with 2 other players while they're calling a must-move O8 game that eventually didn't go.

Omaha Expert: So and so took a beating last night. He's such a maniac. Got real lucky one time, though. He bet and raised the turn, put in three bets total, 24 dollars, with the Ace and another card of hearts and the Ace and another card of spades, with 2 hearts and 2 spades on the board... all high cards and he had nothing but the one pair of aces which couldn't be good. So nothing but a draw. He just kept raising. He got lucky that time, though. Huge pot.

Me: Wow. How many players were in the hand?

Omaha Expert: 6.

Me: Wow.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, that's right, I forgot. I suck at poker.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

good man. I suck at poker too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I suck. you run bad. (head first into brick walls)
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, that's right, I forgot. I suck at poker.

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

good man. I suck at poker too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I suck. you run bad. (head first into brick walls)

[/ QUOTE ]

brick is too soft for how bad I have run lately and it rubs off, I cool everyone I sweat.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM

this was about 4 years ago, playing 15-30 live, 10 seat table. i had been playing laggy for a limit game and was running over the table, with about 4k in front of me, showing bluffs when players folded, showing the nuts when they called me down, very nice run. i raise in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], button and BB call,
flop, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB check, i bet, button raise, BB call, i raise, button raise, BB fold, i call.

turn, 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], i check, button looks a long time at his hand, and then finally bets, i insta CR (putting him on smaller flush draw), he looks at me and asks me what i have,
i turn over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (this is when showing one card was still legal) and tell him "flush draw", thinking that A high was good. he reraises, (sigh), i call

river, 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ding ding ding.

i bet, he raises, i raise, he raises, i check my cards and ask him, "are you bluffing me?" he gives me a cold death stare and flips over a T, (okay) i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he raises, i raise, he calls, (HU was unlimited action, but any all in verbal agreement was not yet permitted), i get him to put his whole $700 stack in. the table is amazed, nothing like this has EVER happened. i fully expect him to turn over TT.

i show the wheel, he turns over QTo. even i am aghast. someeone asks him, "why the hell didnt you just call?" he replies, "i thought he was trying to bluff me off of top pair"
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This hand isn't played particularly well by Hero either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate why? I don't have a strong opinion about it but it's not clear to me where Hero made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wants to raise KQo from the worst position against a giant field. T9s is a better raise in limit than KQo in this spot.

Then he check/raises a bet and 4 callers with top pair, 2nd kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please post this hand in MSL forum and see the responses of limit players. I think he played it just fine. I also think that you should STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Lolz at NL donks trying to analyze limit play. Hero's play is fine, but I probably would have just bet the flop. C/r is ok if you think a bet will come from very close to your left. I probably don't raise it offsuit (easy raise suited) either, but given all the donks limping with crap that would have been ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean if it will come from very close to your right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. I just checked back in on this thread and like 2 pages were spent discussing the strategy of my hand. I'm going to post the hand in small stakes and see what everyone says.

Here it is if anyone cares:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...D=#Post12823389
Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I chuckled, but managed to keep it under my breath. Then the megadonk on my right tried to pay for his beer with tournament chips and I just burst out laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic a little, but I just want to state that if I hear the joke from another player asking to "cash out" his tournament chips I just may strangle him/her.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably deserves another thread, but what are some really annoying jokes that everyone has heard 100 times at the tables? A few of mine:

-Two guys have the same hand and split the pot....One asks the other: "You play that crap?"

-BB doesn't realize that hes BB and thinks hes EP and goes to fold his hand, dealer tells him and allows him to keep his hand. Someone almost always asks "Cards are that good huh?"

-"AK = Anna Kournakova(sp?)...looks good but never wins."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's much more fun to play at a table that's silent, morose and miserable. If you play a lot, expect to hear the same jokes repeatedly. They keep the table lively, and make the new players more cheerful (especially at 1-2). A happy table is a more profitable table. Crack jokes yourself. Sometimes, if you make people laugh, they don't mind that you're fleecing them at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true