Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-24-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Ride With The Taser

can you point me to where I can read about this?

Obviously this is my opinion. Should I dissect the media/cop dichotomy over the past 20 years? No thanks. I stand fully behind all I've written.

However, by constructing your sentences as such:

“A lot of the time things can be handled much better by all involved.”

You leave yourself an ‘out” when confronted. As in, “that’s not what I said!” Ambiguous nonsense. The obvious inference is that you believe that this coulda (shoulda) been handled better. Maybe I agree. My position on the Taser notwithstanding.

Also, I would recommend that you do some research. In the last 15 years US policing has moved from pseudo-military towards touch-feely. Not the other way around. This again is a direct result of media influence. The obvious correlation is that with crime down and less people experiencing crime (don’t ask for reference, it’s a given) there’s an expectation that people have forgotten what it is to be a victim of crime and subsequently are more apt to believe it doesn’t exist. And because it’s sexier to blame the police for the actions of crooks, the media chooses to provide more coverage to the former.

Also, as far as SWAT teams go, is Columbine and surrounding cities, pop 200k, big enough for a SWAT team? Again, see my thoughts on liability. The uproar over a similar massacre in any town would be led with, “why wasn’t there a SWAT team?!!” Most SWAT teams are part-time meaning they pull patrol officers off the streets to form the team. You’re misinformed.

Finally, Dog Chapmen is a moron and you watch too much TV.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you point me to where I can read about this?

Obviously this is my opinion. Should I dissect the media/cop dichotomy over the past 20 years? No thanks. I stand fully behind all I've written.

However, by constructing your sentences as such:

“A lot of the time things can be handled much better by all involved.”

You leave yourself an ‘out” when confronted. As in, “that’s not what I said!” Ambiguous nonsense. The obvious inference is that you believe that this coulda (shoulda) been handled better. Maybe I agree. My position on the Taser notwithstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not trying to leave myself any outs. Yes I think this should have been handled much differently and in this instance the burden lies on the police officer. He had a lot of discretion and chose to take a route that wont be popular in the court of public opinion and perhaps not in real court either.

The initial statement was one that relates to any situation that goes further than necessary. Sometimes its the police officers fault and sometimes it is the other person's fault and sometimes it is a combination of the two.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I would recommend that you do some research. In the last 15 years US policing has moved from pseudo-military towards touch-feely. Not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this to be true. Perhaps it is my "liberal" Masters degree in criminal justice that is biasing my opinion but what I've learned it the total opposite. I haven't done extensive research but I have listened to those that have. Peter Kraska, someone Ive taken classes from, is considered an authority on the subject and while I don't really like the guy too much personally, I do respect his thoughts on the matter.

Just because there has been a push for community policing over the last decade or so doesn't mean that it has been implemented at the level desired by the people pushing it. In fact there is a lot of resistance at the operational level. The merits have no bearing in this discussion so I will leave that out.

I'm also going to stay away from the right vs left wing media debate at this point.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 AM

Spidar,

What do you think the solution is? I kinda agree with you and disagree at the same time. I feel like it's harder for legitimate cops to diffuse situations, but that also police jobs tend to attract violent, slight sociopathic individuals. Maybe that's not a fair impression, but what do you want to see done?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Just wanna make sure everyone sees this , which was linked earlier cause it's F'ing hilarious. That trooper was funny too. Now that guy deserved a tasing even more than the "don't taze me bro!" guy
Old 11-24-2007, 09:45 PM

I think you need to do a lot more than be annoying or nervous to be subjected to bodily injury or risk of death.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:46 PM

Replace "tased" with "beat with a baton" in these stories, and
it's a lot easier to see if it makes sense.

Not listening to what a cop says doesn't give him the right to inflict severe pain and possibly threaten your life.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:59 PM

do you people not realize that the guy didn't comply with the very clear "put your hands behind your back and turn around" direction that was clearly stated multiple times by an officer with a drawn weapon?

in fact he somewhat reaches towards his pocket for the love of god

i just hope the judge/jury dealing with this douchebag's lawsuit he has filed shows better logic and intelligence than has been demonstrated in this thread.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Replace "tased" with "beat with a baton" in these stories, and
it's a lot easier to see if it makes sense.

Not listening to what a cop says doesn't give him the right to inflict severe pain and possibly threaten your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess what? If you do something that the cop feels threatened, he's taking your ass down before you have a chance to take his ass down. This is why you should always comply with any command a cop gives you, no matter how right you think you are.

You're never going to win with a cop. This guy tried winning by not listening, walking back to his car and it looked like he was going to his pocket.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why you should always comply with any command a cop gives you, no matter how right you think you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to do a lot more than be annoying or nervous to be subjected to bodily injury or risk of death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to lighten up