Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Fantasy Ethics Question

This thread is already outside the normal scope of this forum. Let's not completely derail it.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 AM

I grew up in a family with much to be desired in the ways of income and am still...not rich. Right or wrong ethically, I wouldn't be able to resist doing this.

So I probably cave and do it, make millions, realize money isn't everything, feel extremely guilty, donate it to charity, continue low-income life.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I probably cave and do it, make millions, realize money isn't everything, feel extremely guilty, donate it to charity, continue low-income life.

[/ QUOTE ]And find the happiness you could not find before, living the same life you now probably find frustrating. Grasshopper, you have attained true wisdom.

Andy, thanks for letting the thread stay for a day. And thanks for the answers, they are interesting, to say the least. So, this was an odd question but I am reading some research by a statistics professor who states that remote viewing is a mathematically proven trait after a few decades of replicable and tightly controlled studies. I was thinking about this when I was watching some high stakes Razz the other night and realized how many of the players at those limits I had notes on - from playing at .50/1.

When I see them down there, I never say anything, I just make a mental note to be careful in hands with them, they aren't going to be doing anything real stupid. If I knew you could see through the cards, like the fantasy question, I'd tell everyone. When, as a far superior player, does it become unethical, if ever, to play among the micros? Understand, these aren't 1/2 or 2/4 players, these are 5/10, 10/20 players.

I don't like it. They aren't hurting me, really, but...it just feels low class and wrong.

Is it just part of poker culture I have to get used to? Would you say anything to the other players? Am I just being a gurrrelllll?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 AM

What the hell's wrong with dropping down a few levels? I've played $30/60 and $2/4 on the same day on multiple occasions. And $5/10 and $10/20 players do plenty of stupid things. As do the $30/60 and $100/200 players. As do the big names.

I will refrain from sexist remarks. For now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell's wrong with dropping down a few levels? I've played $30/60 and $2/4 on the same day on multiple occasions. And $5/10 and $10/20 players do plenty of stupid things. As do the $30/60 and $100/200 players. As do the big names.

[/ QUOTE ] I very seriously don't mean to offend anyone, I know people play at multiple levels. I'm talking about someone multi-tabling from 10/20 and 5/10 who is keeping two .50/1 tables open. I'm not insisting I'm right, I'm asking.

What the hell is wrong with it? Well, a lot of people at micro are like me, we are, to be blunt, poor. Some older folks use poker to supplement income. Some of us use it as a sort of "neurological aid." Some can just barely get money on there to keep on learning. It feels like unfair advantage.

[ QUOTE ]
I will refrain from sexist remarks. For now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, watch it, Buster! I was an expert shot and got my cyber-.357 aimed right at your icon!

prax<--wondering with arthritic hands and crappy eyesight if she could even hit the screen these days.....

..oh well, at least I rarely get thrown-up on, now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 AM

Most people suck at poker, be they $.10/.20 players or $40/80 players. I think around $100/200 online, you get to a level where most players are at least somewhat competent. The fact that someone plays $10/20 in no way indicates that they're a good player. Perhaps some $10/20 players started playing micro-limits with a $100 bankroll and built from there. Most $10/20 players got to that level by virtue of the fact that they have a job which allows them to throw off $500 or so about once a month, which is how often they play anyway.

Anyway, if you put a typical $10/20 player in a $.50/1.00 game, he is going to play poorly. It doesn't matter if he ten-tables $10/20 for a living--if you put him in the micro game, he's going to play like a monkey. It's very difficult to take small games seriously when you're used to playing much bigger. You should be welcoming those guys.

I'm pretty sure that the only person who has ever vomited on me is me.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:14 AM

Thanks, Andy, I think I get it, now. You know, I think I am finally starting to get kinda good at poker - well - at Razz. I find becoming acculturated to it to be most difficult. I really liked everyone's answers to the fantasy special powers question, helped me get the mindset.

I find that I am getting less and less empathetic to my competition and more and more - oh hell - greedy. It's antithetical to my nature, but all serves the truth, I guess. I kinda like it. Maybe being dedicated to being good at something that pays lots of money at the end IS my nature!

Razz is interesting in this light because it can be so incredibly obvious you are beaten. I called a hand today and I figured he had me boardlocked, but it was one of those where he knows I can't make better than a 7 to his made 6 on the river, but I couldn't know it yet. I called mostly because I didn't want him thinking he could bluff me off a 7 in future.

But sometimes EVERYBODY knows you are boardlocked. I used to feel bad for people who couldn't see it and not raise or reraise. Now I feel I am simply encouraging them to become more educated (gimmee your dough!!)

I write all this blather because I know there are a lot of new players like myself, who just have trouble getting with the program and keep losing their money because they were never taught to win. Not just women, either. Some of the distaff side are incredibly competitive.

Now - here's the fun part. This material I am reading describes one of the ESP researches that used an enhancement technique to increase the correct answers to a binary guessing game. Essentially they had a string of 1010101010000100111110010101001110001001010 and the participants had to guess which was next. The control runs were 51% accuracy, right in the expected range. The enhanced results over large number trials were over 70%. I haven't gotten to the appendices where the 'enhancements" are described - but if you could make the question binary: Is the card greater or lesser then 5? for instance, or just "helped him or hurt him" and if the enhancement is winning money...

These were gov't funded researches and after they got those amazing results, no one could figure out what possible use it could be, so they stopped working on it. Anyway, I've always been struck by Doyle Brunson's assertion in SS1 that a great poker player has ESP. And I am fascinated by the idea that it could be something like memory - no one knows how it works, but you can do things to make it better.