Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: How would you play at the final table against a known superuser?

[ QUOTE ]
I still like the 'calling down light with a hand he doesn't think I'll call with' strategy. Bluffing big is where this guy actually goofs

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is important to do this with a weak made hand, as opposed to an equally strong hand with a larger drawing component. When you are drawing, a large bet might be for protection, but potripper only seemed to make large bets against weak made hands (below top pair) as a bluff.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM

In the videos I've seen POTRIPPER raise people holding mid-small PPs pre-flop to build the pot and then steal on the flop when overcards hit. It worked every time. So if you're holding a PP and POTRIPPER raises you, shove. You can't be much of a dog unless you're against a bigger PP which he's more likely to slow-play.

As others have said, your best option is to get everything in the middle pre-flop. It doesn't make sense to see a flop.

If the blinds are very low compared to the stacks it may be correct to play very tight and fold all hands but the monsters and wait for the blinds to go up. My reasoning is that while you can't win chips by folding, you're going to lose more taking flops and trying to outwit an opponent who can read your very soul. Does this make any sense?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 PM

push fold every hand thats the only way to beat it obv
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still like the 'calling down light with a hand he doesn't think I'll call with' strategy. Bluffing big is where this guy actually goofs

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. The obvious thing from the Potripper video was what he could do to 33 44 55 66 with a HUGE bluff bet when any high card hit the board. Knowing the other guy has a small pocket pair and not one of the biggies means you know that you can get them to fold. But if I know that you know, and I refuse to fold (basically hoping he didn't actually hit) is your best equity. Still not good, as ur basically a calling station.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange, I only get dealt big pairs about 2.5% of hands, so I'd expect to have blinded away using this strategy. Especially as when you raise, you'll not get incorrect calls, and big pairs are bad hands to suck out on someone with.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you stall, you wont be forced to play many hands. That's the main thing. You are just trying to bide your time for when the stack:blind ratio is very low.

For the big pairs, the most important concept is that you arent playing because you want him to stack off with a worse hand. You do it precisely because you know he wont.

You do it because he will just call 100% of the time preflop, assuming that he will be able to value shove when he flops a big hand and get you to fold when the board is too intimidating. With that knowledge alone, you can play extremely effectively.

if he peels on a safe flop, as long as the turn is not intimidating, you should either bet small and fold to a raise, or check/fold.

the problem with medium pairs or less is that too many flops will have overcards, where it is very difficult to determine whether he is value betting you or bluffing you. when you have a big overpair, you dont have that problem.

i would not bank on my ability to decipher his post flop play with weak made hands. you WILL pick up a lot of bluffs by check/calling super lite, but you will also always be paying off even marginally better ones. the kind of hands that you need to check/call with are going to be so awful that even a random hand has a good chance of beating you. unless you knew before hand that he leads weak when he knows you're too weak to call a big bet and bets big when he has a worse hand and wants you to fold, you cannot use the information to your advantage.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 AM

Make him fire a third bullet every time!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM

Fold every hand until he busts out everyone else. Get 2nd with a 10:1 chip disadvantage. Start shoving anything.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold every hand until he busts out everyone else. Get 2nd with a 10:1 chip disadvantage. Start shoving anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you didn't read the OP
Old 10-19-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that strategy, but it assumes that you are playing against Potripper, but it could be that the superuser has a totally different style...
Old 10-19-2007, 03:18 PM

I would just report him.