Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Quitting Smoking

I just got the pocket-size Little Book of Quitting. But yes, there's a page where he says not to use patches or gum because they address physical addiction, which to him is a small issue, and not the main issue which is psychological dependence.

I have almost ZERO willpower in any area of my life at the moment, and there is no chance I could give up cold turkey while still being expected to do my job / leave the house.

I gave up caffeine three weeks ago, having drunk maybe eight caffeine drinks a day; I once completely gave up alcohol for 22 months. But I think I need some help on this one.

Even with a patch I'm finding today the toughest day, actually - 69 hours in - as I guess all the nicotine from the cigarettes I smoked through Tuesday has finally left my system. My skin is really crawling.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nicotine patches + read Allen Carr. I'm 46 hours without a cigarette right now. Usually smoke 15+ a day, been smoking four years. Kind of managing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you read Carr quite close enough. He advocates zero nicotine replacement because, as he says, using nicotine to get over nicotine doesn't make a lot of sense (there are other reasons not to use nicotine replacement, but that one is the easy soundbite).

But I definitely reccomend his book. It'll help change your mindset on smoking. Quitting doesn't seem so hard afterward.

I smoked for over 10 years and am now a nonsmoker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even with a patch I'm finding today the toughest day, actually - 69 hours in - as I guess all the nicotine from the cigarettes I smoked through Tuesday has finally left my system. My skin is really crawling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, congrats on being a nonsmoker! If the nicotine has truly left your body then there is no reason to put anymore in.

Good luck man!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 AM

I need to do some exercise now. Otherwise if I just spend all my time sat at a computer with my skin crawling, it's no good.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 AM

Use the Patch. I smoked for 13 years, and for the last 3 years of it, i smoked 2 1/2 packs a day. I tried EVERY type of quit method, and only the Patch worked. Been smoke free for over three months.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need to do some exercise now. Otherwise if I just spend all my time sat at a computer with my skin crawling, it's no good.

[/ QUOTE ]
be strong first week is the hardest
Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM

I work as an intern in a pharmacy and we've had lots of success stories with people taking Chantix. Ask your doctor about it.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM

I would go for regular gum and suckers if you like them. That worked best for me...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Lots of success stories? The drug is pretty new. I've got exactly one patient on it. Come to think of it, I should have seen him in follow-up by now. I wonder what happened. Perhaps he is smoking again and doesn't want to admit it. I'll have to pull his chart and maybe give him a call.

The study data does show an improvement compared to wellbutrin, but still not a great success rate. It isn't going to be my first-line choice any time soon. I'll want to wait out the early period for any adverse reaction reports.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always keep a pack of cigs and a light on me, i rarely smoke though, if im super stressed and just need a break (which is rare), or if Im at a bar I might have one or two. I dont even go through a pack a week, maybe half of one, so I dont know what true addiction is like. A couple of my friends have had the procedure where they shock your ears, and they all quit cold turkey after smoking a pack+ a day. I cant remember what the name is of the procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this... but i hated carrying it around with me everywhere.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 AM

I'm now 10 days without a cigarette. My smoking history is I smoked c15 a day for four years; more when playing poker.

Rather than spend ten weeks on patches, I just used them for the first week so I could get used to not smoking. I also read and re-read Allen Carr's Little Book of Quitting, to convince myself smoking makes things worse, and causes the agitation and nervousness from which makes me smoke in the first place.

So the last four days I've been cold turkey, and it's been pretty much fine. I've been in a couple of situations where normally I'd absolutely have to smoke, and not doing so hasn't killed me.

Trying to be more active, the other night for the first time in a year I went swimming. It felt great. I'm eating too much but I always eat too much. Generally I feel better; I still have a nicotine itch, but I recognise it wouldn't be the right thing to scratch it. I think I'll be able to keep this up.