Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Canterbury Park MN - Tonight

Hey,
Anyone been out to the Park lately?
How is the action? The usual loose/passive?
I may be heading out tonight to play some 6/12, 8/16 how have those been playing lately?
I remember last year around this time the action really picked up with the college kids home for holiday break.
See you there!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Park MN - Tonight

I get to Minneapolis at 6-8 times a year and usually spend at least one night at the Park.

My take on the place -- there are regulars or semi-regulars at all levels other than 2-4. These players are at least semi-tight/semi-aggressive. If you get at a table with three or four of these guys, it won't be as profitable as you might expect from say a 3/6 or 4/8 game, which I usually play, but might be more fun. I assume that 6/12 and 8/16 are about the same, but they're beyond my current bankroll, so I can't say.

There are always some younger players there, but I didn't see any great influx earlier this week.

The absolute gift there, are the SNGs. They run, what is in effect a 45-10, and a 90-10. In general, I'd say that between 4 and 6 players at the 45-10 are dead money, the 90-10 game may be a bit better, but not much.

Only caveat -- the payout structure is a bit wierd. By playing a 90-10, instead of $100-10, the pot is only $900, instead of $1000, they take this out of the third play money, so that if you finish in third, you only get your money back. in the 45-10, third only pays $50, so you actually cash in, and lose money.

Overally, I really love this place. I find the dealers to be both polite, knowledgable and professional. Table service is a bit slow unless you ask your dealer to get someone, and then they come quickly. No comps on the booze, but I don't drink when I play anyway, so I don't care.

Overall, a much more pleasant experience than my 'home' card room -- Foxwoods.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:33 PM

6-12 is perhaps the tightest game. You find a lot of regulars at this limit. Most are not playing in order to move up. It's very beatable.

8-16 is loose, sem-aggressive. Players that seek action are here. Expect more call downs because the pot in general is larger so players continue to the river with draws more often.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:09 PM

Yeah,
The Park is pretty well run and has some pretty decent regulars when you start to move up. Not a lot of drunkin tourists there at all. I generally ask for a table change if I recognize 4-5 of these guys and why not in a room this big. I would say the donk number ranges from 1-2 on 6/12 tables with more as you move down the limits to 2/4. If your playing 8/16 or above the players are usually pretty good.

I agree on how Led described the 6/12 and 8/16 games.
6/12 is more tight and 8/16 is a little loser and wilder. I guess I'll decide which looks better when I get there.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:15 PM

every game is always good. at least that has been my experience. the 30 has looked not so good at rare times, but that is only because it typically is great. you will encounter a variety of different style players, but if you are observant you should be able to get them figured out. very few players there are super tricky or capable of changing gears. spazzes tend to be spazzes. TAGs tend to be TAGs. nut-peddlers tend to be nut-peddlers. etc. the room is very well run and the dealers are excellent. use the valet parking. when you get into the room, give the guy your valet ticket and a tip and he/she'll validate it for you so your valet is free.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:19 PM

I'll be there.

The 12 days of X-Mas promotion is in full swing. Plus as you mentioned the coledge kids will be there in force. Expect lists on all games to be over an hour wait if you get there between 7-11pm tonight.

Lots - O - Action!
Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
use the valet parking. when you get into the room, give the guy your valet ticket and a tip and he/she'll validate it for you so your valet is free.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is that free then? just seems like you are paying someone who didn't even do the work but still paying someone
Old 12-18-2006, 01:59 AM

Just do the preferred parking. It's self parking near the valet area, but half the price of valet. Plus you don't have to tip anyone [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
use the valet parking. when you get into the room, give the guy your valet ticket and a tip and he/she'll validate it for you so your valet is free.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is that free then? just seems like you are paying someone who didn't even do the work but still paying someone

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i guess it's not. i typically tip the floor guy a buck or 2 and he/she validates my valet (which would have cost $6) and gives me a $5 comp.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 AM

Oh okay, I see now, then yes, good deal, I was always surprised valet there was $5...even though they seem to do a good job, still seems high to me