Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Default KK - Check it!

Once again, no read other than I've never played with him before and he open limps. So he's almost assuredly bad.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Do a lot of good things happen from this check?!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: KK - Check it!

Well, KT / KQ / TQ / JK / JQ / JT / J9 don't pay you a bet.

Actually............................

If you can bet the turn and river if you are checked to after checking the flop, you make up more bets on average.

True
Old 08-29-2006, 06:05 PM

I would always bet this flop and take it from there. This does make your hand appear weaker and you might get called down by some hands that would have folded to a flop bet, but still i pretty much always bet this flop.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM

In the actual hand he had 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The turn was

A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He check/called the turn. I can't know for sure what he would have done if I bet the flop but I think he would have folded.

This was the idea of the play. My hand is such that free card doesn't hurt at all and I think a lot of his hands are folding this flop. Let's give him a little chance to find something he likes and pay me off in the small pot while also paying less to Ax hands.

However true brings up a good point.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:38 PM

That gave me an idea for an interesting line given the right opponent. Sort of a WA/WB with position and bluff induction. Say you're against an aggressive opponent (including most standard TAGs). Preferably the second card isn't the J; 9 or lower ideally. Check the flop. Most of the time, you get bet into on the turn. Call. Get bet into again on the river and raise.

Do you lose more pots by giving free turns than you gain in extra bets when you win? Do you get folded to on the raise too often for it to be for value? Seems like you get called out of sheer curiosity a lot there by a wide range of holdings. Do you give crappy aces too many bets? (Depends a lot on what you would do when you get C/R'd on the flop if you bet out.) I don't think you get reraised on the river by many aces that didn't raise preflop, unless they hit their 2 pair. Gotta be the right opponent to get him to bet again on the river with weak holdings/air, but pretty sweet if its an agg guy who you've had to lay down preflop raises to a couple times recently.

And against a TAG paying attention, it could do very interesting things for future hands.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 PM

vs. a TAG who recognizes Hero plays well this flop check won't matter.

vs. a non-thinking LAG or LP, I see some merit in it.

Caddy