Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default This was a ruling situation I\'ve never encountered

I sit down in the 2 seat in the 15/30 at Wynn in the big blind and post it. The hand plays out, the dealer moves the button, I put out my small, and the guy to my left starts to protest.

He was already the big blind he says. At first we thought he was joking but he wasn't. Apparently the hand before I sat down he, the 3 seat, was the big blind and the 1 seat was small blind (the 1 seat posted the SB twice, one on my BB and once on seat 3's BB). So now, the button is on the 1 seat, I've posted a big and no small, seat 3 has posted a big and no small, and seat 4 hasn't posted a blind.

How would you resolve the situation?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: This was a ruling situation I\'ve never encountered

If seat 3 was BB before you sat down, then you should have not been allowed to play until the button passed, OR you would have had to "buy the button".

Dealer error in allowing you to post in this spot. Odd that seat one didn't object.

As a floor I think I'd resolve dealer errors in favor of the player: seat 3 post small, and seat 4 post the BB.

You are out this hand till the button passes, and in on the CO as if you posted correctly. Since you were allowed to come in incorrectly, I *think* this is best.

OR

You post SB, seat 3 post small, and seat 4 post the BB. Only then, who gets the button? You or seat 3? If you then seat 3 would have to post another SB.

Yea, it's a mess. I think the first idea above is most correct.

AB
Old 12-17-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If seat 3 was BB before you sat down, then you should have not been allowed to play until the button passed, OR you would have had to "buy the button".

[/ QUOTE ]

Many places you can post a big blind between the button and small blind and not get the button (saves the small blind over buying the button, but you don't get the button).

As for the hand in question, the player to the new player's left will have to pay the big blind again. The last hand was played and the blinds are posted for the next hand based on the hand before. The floor might want to give the guy somethign to make him feel better, but the time for him to raise an objection would have been the hand before saying "the blinds aren't right."
Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM

Hey, I was there for this hand. Can anyone guess how it was resolved? Hint: it hasn't been mentioned yet.

As usual, I like Randy's solution here.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone guess how it was resolved? Hint: it hasn't been mentioned yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, Seat 2 gets the button and posts a SB
Seat 3 posts SB.
Seat 4 posts BB.
Close?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seat 3 posts SB.
Seat 4 posts BB.
Close?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it sounds like the dealer missed the fact that you shouldn't be able to come in between the blinds (at least in our cardroom thats the case), and the guy in seat 3 should have noticed and objected before that hand went out...or anyone at the table for that matter.

The solution above sounds reasonable to me, except I would add that the SB on the button would be a dead small and go right to the pot, seats 3 & 4 pay thier blinds in order.

*shrug*
Old 12-17-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 3 posts SB.
Seat 4 posts BB.
Close?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's almost what I came up with. The disadvantage of the above is the 2-seat gets to post a small blind on the button which is a more advantageous position to have to post a blind than normal. So he's getting a bit of an edge if you let him take the button. So my stab at it:

Seat 2: Button and he posts a dead SB if he wants to play
Seat 3: Small
Seat 4: Big

If Seat2 doesn't want to post a dead small, he just sits out one hand.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

In Indiana, you would not be allowed to come in to the game between the blinds. I have issues with the floor at the Wynn from my last visit so there is no way to guess how the floor would react, other than stupidly.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 PM

How does this even happen?

Sounds like the button never got moved on the hand before you posted. Therfore, someone was not only the small blind twice but the button twice.

For this to happen there has to be a whole lot of people not paying attention.

I like AB's first suggestion the best, you come in CO and skip one hand.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I sit down in the 2 seat in the 15/30 at Wynn in the big blind and post it. The hand plays out, the dealer moves the button, I put out my small, and the guy to my left starts to protest.

He was already the big blind he says. At first we thought he was joking but he wasn't. Apparently the hand before I sat down he, the 3 seat, was the big blind and the 1 seat was small blind (the 1 seat posted the SB twice, one on my BB and once on seat 3's BB). So now, the button is on the 1 seat, I've posted a big and no small, seat 3 has posted a big and no small, and seat 4 hasn't posted a blind.

How would you resolve the situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would simply tell seat 3 that he was mistaken and since he didn't say anything earlier he needs to post his BB and the SB the following hand. Otherwise everyone will start trying this angle. If he was a good customer then maybe I'd have security review the tape and if he was right I'd give his money from the house but realkly, it's up to the players to protect themsleves and I'd think that someone playing 15/30 should know if they are being asked to post out of turn.