Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Bankroll Management Question

I have been playing poker for the last 3-4 years and have been playing semi full time for nearly a year, as i guess is the case with alot of player starting out, bankroll manangement has been my biggest downfall i have now adopted a 20 buy in rule but im not sure how to handle the following problem;

for example only

if a game has a max buy in of $80 then i require a $1600 bankroll

the next game up is a max buy in of $200 therefore i require $4000 bankroll

if i struggle in $200 buy in game or go on a really bad run when should i drop back?

do i drop back only when i drop back to the $1600 mark?

or should i set a marker of say a 10 buys ins loss at a level requires me to drop back?

i hope this isnt a stupid question [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Management Question

To do it right, use a RoR calculator and input your acceptable risk of ruin based on your winrate and standard deviation, and drop down when its exceeded.

Note that your example doesn't take into account the variance in these games. Depending on buy in limits and game character, live games can have both unusually high and unusually low variance, so this cannot be "answered" based on the information you have given.

But as a SWAG, I would drop down after losing a few buyins, both to build back up and to get your confidence back to play in the bigger game. Say at $3200.

The stupid question is not asking.