Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: elindauer is in the well

[ QUOTE ]
Is it best for a player to be a TAG before moving onto SLAG play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I presently think that the best way to learn is to do something like the following:

1. work on understanding default play. That is, how should you play your hands if your goal is just to break even? How would you play against the best player in the world?

2. simultaneously, watch for opportunities to exploit weaknesses in your opponents' games. So you analyze a hand by saying "if I was playing a great player, I'd do this and sleep easy, knowing he can't beat me. But against a bad player I do that, because of this reason.

3. slowly expand your repertoire and ease of doing #2. Reach a point where you can find flaws in virtually any players game and know how to exploit them.

4. Move on to attempting to manipulate the game your opponents are playing (slag play). Learn to drive them crazy by making small mistakes, and use that tilt-inducing play to drive them into large mistakes, which you then exploit. By the way, I'm not good at this. Easier said then done.

Frankly, this last step is much more applicable to a game like no limit. In limit, it's really hard to pull off, although it does lead to your largest possible profit.

[ QUOTE ]
In your 2006 goals page you listed as a goal "stop posting on/reading 2+2." Why are you back? Does your return to the forum have something to do with trying to generate passive income?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very insightful. Yes, that's part of it. But it also has to do with...

[ QUOTE ]
My experience with the SSLHE forum has been largely arrogance and flame-war free...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed this too, and like the trend. So I find posting here less frustrating then in the past.

For me, this may have to do with the fact that I have a much better understanding of the game then I used to, and tend to only reply to people that are interested in logic and math anyways. I used to try to convince everyone I was right, which was of course impossible (rightfully so, since I'm not always right).

edit: it may also have to do with the fact that I don't have any "real" work to do for the rest of the year! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
How would you go about coaching someone that only plays live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I once held a two day school at my house, where a couple guys came and we essentially played poker and talked about the game for eight hours a day. They were online players, but for live players, I'd probably do a similar thing. I have never actually coached live players before though.

That said, I'm not much interested in coaching these days, and usually discourage people who request it. I think you can get the value of my coaching for less money in other ways.

thanks,
Eric