Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Razz: Is this an easy check/fold?

Player 1: (x, x) A, 3, K
Player 2: (2, 5) 7, 9, T
Is this an easy check/fold?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Razz: Is this an easy check/fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Player 1: (x, x) A, 3, K
Player 2: (2, 5) 7, 9, T
Is this an easy check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the action on 3rd and 4th? Dead cards? Position?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:52 PM

More information would be good, but probably.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:59 PM

This is a question from Sklanskly's book, and there wasnt more infomormation there neither...
I think, we can assume there was nothing extraordinary, so table was 6-8 handed, at 3rd it was completed and player 1 bet at 4th and player2 called. And at 5th, player2 checked and player1 bet. Assume player 1 is a reasonable player, and started with 3 card 8 or better.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a question from Sklanskly's book, and there wasnt more infomormation there neither...
I think, we can assume there was nothing extraordinary, so table was 6-8 handed, at 3rd it was completed and player 1 bet at 4th and player2 called. And at 5th, player2 checked and player1 bet. Assume player 1 is a reasonable player, and started with 3 card 8 or better.

[/ QUOTE ]
SOR asks the reader to assume a lot of things, and it also always assumes your opponents are reasonable, thinking, and well versed in the game. Just remember what assumptions tend to do...

p.s. This is actually a very similar hand to one shown on the WSOP HORSE telecast last night where Fossilman was player 1 and Gabe Kaplan was player 2 (tho I believe Greg caught the paint card on 4th instead of 5th). Fossilman actually paired his "good" catch but went on to win the hand with a bluff on the river. Kaplan butchered the hand about as badly as humanly possible.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:15 AM

If player 1 has a four-card Seven, he's almost a 2:1 favorite. If he has a four-card Eight, he's still a nice favorite. If he's paired, obviously player 2 is a big favorite. I think on balance this is a fold for player 2 in a smallish pot such as you describe. He's looking at a 3 BB commitment. The only point at which he would be able to confidently bet his hand is sixth street, if it comes good to him and bad to the other guy, and this will only happen a smallish percentage of the time. And if player 1 is lucky enough to make a 75 on the river, just how much action does he want to put in?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM

Our T low is beating his K low atm, I would definatly call and hope he bricks on the 6th.

Then again, it depends alot on the previous action, the pot etc etc
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Our T low is beating his K low atm, I would definatly call and hope he bricks on the 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people play this way, and it's tempting to do so, but the problem here is:
* We only improve, and he doesn't, a portion of the time - this is often enough to call if we would win every time we improved
* But villian will redraw a portion of the time we outdraw him, and since our redraw is not great, it's somewhat unlikely that we'll improve again and still beat him.
* We'll be forced to call down all the way if villain does not improve 6th, villain can easily fold 7th if he bricks 6th.