Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Deadwood, 7/23

As always, another great episode. Looks like the battle for Deadwood will start soon.

Thoughts? Looks like we might get to see some Bullock gunplay next week.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Deadwood, 7/23

I didn't like it that much as the others. But shows usually slump in the mid-season. I'm getting a little tired of the Jack/Swearengen storyline not being fleshed out anymore, he just seems like an easy trick to have a narrator with keen insight explain the actions of Al lately to the viewers too dumb to figure it out themselves. The scene with Jack and Al in his office is an example. Although there is some comedy in seeing Al completely at his wit's end and he knows it.

Although in this episode they actually made Hearst a little more complex as a character, when he begins weeping about being an outcast for his pursuit of the color, something he views as completely logical. Does anyone know if Hearst was anything like the borderline psycohpath he is on the show?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 AM

I liked it. I agree with the complaint that Jack is too often simply a device for Al to explain the plot, but I think it's well enough executed. It seemed over the top, because we already had Al's men kinda do the same thing earlier.

I've yet to fully catch up on the show, so I don't know if this is typical of all the epps, but is there any show that could have the first billed actor die off and suffer less? Bullock is for the most part more important as a concept than as a character in all of this.

Drunk Steve is getting awesome. I would watch the spin off show "Drunk Steve and The Little [censored] General Samuel Fields" constantly.

The show is doing a fantastic slow build to whatever is coming.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:41 AM

The Earps are coming into town. Awesome.
I'm resisting searching to see what they did in Deadwood.

One very minor, nitty annoying thing in this episode was when Harry collapsed while walking with Nutall - obviously having an allergic reaction. Nuttall asks "Where did you get access to liquor?" or something similar because of his breath.
They just came from a bar and there was a bottle of whiskey on the table!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 PM

"I imagine the pool from which you were spawned. I'm filling it with rocks. I'm squeezing your gills shut, to prevent you from drawing air."

Easily the LOTW, might be the LOTS (Line of the Series).
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 PM

That link needs the visual of Richardson squeezing his gills to just totally pay it off, but yeah, that one was a classic.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:14 PM

Another good episode. It was a little slow because of all the setting up for later episodes but interesting none the less.

The scene where Hearst's "little dog" Tolliver actually in the meeting helping to plot against Hearst and providing AL with some valuable intelligence was weird. Tolliver is coming from the angle of saving the camp. Weird in the sense that he is the biggest scumbag of all the characters.

Someone asked if Hearst was like this in real life. The answer is yes and no. He was not as ruthless as far as I can tell. However he did some strange things in the name of finding the "color". He was a very wealthy man, but he left his wife and kids almost destitute for long periods of time. I guess he liked the spartan lifestyle. Of course, one has to question his actual methods of aquiring the gold. I am sure many techniques were more then likely "suspect".

I think the Hearst of Deadwood is more of a caricature then anything.

My favorite line of the series is Al's reply to Bullock in Season 1 when he wanted to buy a parcel of property for his hardwear store. I laugh everytime I hear it.

Al :" Here is my counter offer to your counter offer, Go [censored] Yourself !"

Jane, AL, EB, Richardson, Wu and others have so many lines that are hilarious that you can find 100 awesome quotes.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite line of the series...

[/ QUOTE ]

This topic deserves its own thread, doesn't it? I'm sitting here, coming up with example after example, wanting to post them all.

"My bicycle glides over boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those who doubt me, suck cock by choice!"
Old 07-25-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this mentioned during the episode, or in the previews for next week? If it was during the episode, I missed it.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this mentioned during the episode, or in the previews for next week? If it was during the episode, I missed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Previews.