Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit

Old 12-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Default what constitutes hitting n running??

2 examples...

1) i played between 50-75 hands with a guy HU at 100/200 early this morning and quit when up, he accused me of hitting n running?? not like i played 2 hands with him or just played my BUTTON and left. i just dont think we are 20 years old, in college, playing with buddies and have to give everyone a chance to win their money back, but maybe i am wrong??

2)i was playing with a guy HU for 2-3 hands, was up pretty large (won 2 big pots vs him) a 3rd guy sits down and starts to play so i quit, he accused me of hitting n running, but my thoughts were 2 things 1)that my expectations when sitting down were HU AND 2)I think if I leave someone with a game still going, I am not hitting n running, they are still playing, just not against me, so 2 big reasons I dont consider this a hit n run. but once again, I could be wrong. any thoughts??
Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: what constitutes hitting n running??

Would you have left if you hadn't won? If not, than you are hitting and running.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:57 PM

who cares if you are hitting and running? this is POKER on the INTERNET. for realz, yo.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you have left if you hadn't won? If not, than you are hitting and running.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would NOT have gotten up if i was down, however, i wont quit in general when down whether it be 100 hands or 1000 hands, it cant just be whether u are up or down...because if i was up and we played 1000 hands, would that be hitting and running (just because i was up), i guess what is an acceptable number of hands to play? IMO, u are basically saying that since i left and was UP, it is hitting n running but i dont think whether i was up or down matters in a hit n run, but people generally dont complain when someone hits n runs when they made money against the person......and if u are giong to say that 1000 hands and leaving when UP is not hit n running, then how many hands is acceptable, is is 100 hands, 200 hands, 500 hands???
Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM

Regarding #1, my personal take is if you get past the 2 hands played stage of HU (ie the game was fuller and then ended up just you and him, and then you each play the button once and neither of you quit after that), it is implied you are agreeing to sit and play HU for awhile. To me, it is poor etiquette to simply quit as you did, unless you had said near the beginning "I'm not going to play for long" and your opponent is aware you might be quitting. Or lets say you get down $2000, and decide in your head "If I win that back I'm quitting," I believe the proper thing to do is to tell your opponent "If I get even, I'm done." I have done this a few times, and usually my opponents take it positively and continue playing anyway and appreciate the warning. As it is, once a HU match has "begun," I think the only way it should ever quit is if one opponent gives at least a 15 minute warning of when he plans to quit. I know many who disagree with me on this view though.

#2 is totally legit IMO, if he doesn't want to play the other opponent that's his choice, but he at least has a chance to "get unstuck."
Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 PM

thanx schneids...#2 i feel pretty strongly about it NOT being a hit n run (since i am leaving him with a healthy game)...#1 is just such a gray area which is why i really wanted some opinions on it....
Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM

so schnieds, i, myself a mere mortal and average poker player, decide to play someone hu and realize after about 30min that i am severly outclassed. you believe i should play "for awhile" for etiquette purposes despite obv shortcomings?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Yeah man as soon as I felt like I've lost my edge or I had no edge at all, I'm outta there.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so schnieds, i, myself a mere mortal and average poker player, decide to play someone hu and realize after about 30min that i am severly outclassed. you believe i should play "for awhile" for etiquette purposes despite obv shortcomings?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are down, go ahead and quit whenever. If you are close to even, say into chat, "hey I'm done, I realized you're pretty good" and in general your opposition will not get angry about you quitting cuz you also complimented him. If you are up a fair amount, you type into chat "hey I'm quitting soon since I realized you play pretty well, but I'll give a chance to win some back, unless you don't care if I quit now."

As an example, maybe a month ago there were three 200/400s going on Stars. I was playing all of them. One of the three somehow ends up me and Quackers HU, I keep playing out of hope some of the guys in the two other games decide to join ours too. About 20 mins later, the two other games quickly end and me and Quackers are left, still playing in the third. Since our HU began, I've been crushing Quackers pretty good, though I don't really feel like continuing to play him since it's now obv the other guys aren't going to join this. I type, "I kinda wanna quit, I kept playing you hoping those others would join us but they didn't... since I'm crushing you, I'll keep playing another 20 mins if you want me to give you a chance to win some back, otherwise, I wanna quit now." Quackers responds telling me he doesn't care if I quit now.

I dunno, I usually find it's good business to be courteous to people, especially if you play often on a site such as Stars where there aren't HU tables at many of the bigger lhe stakes. It may come back to bite you another day, like say if you're playing a good spot HU in a 6max game, and a third guy (who you abruptly quit on and angered) joins and you both type "HU plz" and now this guy says no cuz he is holding a grudge against you. Being courteous doesn't take much effort, in general isn't really giving up much EV (if you were crushing a guy who you think plays well, you may in fact have the edge the next 15 mins, esp if you become aware he's starting to press to try to win some back before you quit), and just leaves everyone happy and may work to your advantage in the future.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM

im with schneider on this one