Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: A More Realistic Fred And Ginger Problem

[ QUOTE ]
Fred is quick to grasp all mathematical concepts. Give him a bunch of well written math books in the proper order and he can zip through them with full understanding.

Ginger can't do this nearly as well. She struggles with certain types of concepts and occasionally needs some tutoring. But unlike Fred, she sometimes does more than merely understand. She anticipates what will be said. She often can derive the proof of a concept first mentioned before she actually reads that proof. She realized completing the square yields the quadratic equation. That repeating fractions proves that the harmonic series diverges. She figured out Euclids's proof for primes before reading about it. And that if a calling frequency does equally well if he always bluffs or never bluffs it will do the same no matter how often he bluffs. As she gets into higher math she continues to anticipate and come up with proofs before she reads them.

But unlike Fred she hits roadblocks. Explanations do not always come easy to her. And she would take three times as long to learn the stuff that Fred learned. And would not score as well on many tests.

Does her extra creativity mean that she is smarter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ginger is like the personification of science or theology or any other multidiscipline where you study the origin and end result of something to understand the middle. She is the one that can mentally fill in a jigsaw puzzle.

Fred is a personification of the perfect application of a discipline. He can take anything known for a fact and manipulate it to its best usage.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 PM

I think I'm an unmotivated ginger.

Somehow I feel like I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that about himself [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 01:27 AM

based on what i have read einstein was a ginger, im not sure how relevent that is. einstein had great trouble learning and understanding high level math, but what he did with it...well that is pretty well known. i think all the historically "smartest" people have been like ginger, spending months if not years coming up with new proofs and theories.
i think the root of this is the ability to think in a different way, they don't understand other's explanations because they understand these concepts in a way different from most people. einstein spent a great deal of time when he was stuck on the problem of general relativity learning the latest theories of non-euclidean geometry and minkowskian space-time to prove his theory. he said it was one of the most difficult experiences of his life and gave him a new respect for advanced mathematics
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by smarter you mean more valuable then Ginger is smarter. Suppose all humans were Fred clones. Man would then have reached his maximum potential. What fred knows is all that man will ever know. Now suppose that all humans are Ginger Clones. Man would never reach a maximum potential. There would be no maximum potential. With Ginger man would continue to create and continue to improve.

Ginger is smarter. Marry her.

pokervintage
Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not her extra creativity but her linguistics abilities. It is obvious that linguistic abilities come into play before math ability even in a mere numerical type problem.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm an unmotivated ginger.

Somehow I feel like I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that about himself [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't. <wry grin>

I think a big point in Ginger's favor is that she's probably psychologically likely to accept and adapt to mistakes, while Fred would go off-track when he ran into a succession of mistakes. Might take longer but she gets there, and more fully.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Well, I think the best recipe for development are found in the cooperation and/or competition between Fred and Ginger types.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fred is quick to grasp all mathematical concepts. Give him a bunch of well written math books in the proper order and he can zip through them with full understanding.

Ginger can't do this nearly as well. (a) She struggles with certain types of concepts and occasionally needs some tutoring. But unlike Fred, she sometimes does more than merely understand. She anticipates what will be said. (b) She often can derive the proof of a concept first mentioned before she actually reads that proof. She realized completing the square yields the quadratic equation. That repeating fractions proves that the harmonic series diverges. She figured out Euclids's proof for primes before reading about it. And that if a calling frequency does equally well if he always bluffs or never bluffs it will do the same no matter how often he bluffs. As she gets into higher math she continues to anticipate and come up with proofs before she reads them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think (a) is compatible with (b). Are you talking about a multiple personality disorder ?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:32 PM

Ginger's going to advance the field , fred isn't.