Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Games that made you cry.

[ QUOTE ]
Goran video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGKJiCXOCAc

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much for posting this. Great video.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was unbelievable at the time. I wonder how many people have forgotten how amazing this was.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was unbelievable at the time. I wonder how many people have forgotten how amazing this was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe this was six years ago. Henman's last real shot at Wimbeldon too. It was a pretty big transition year in tennis.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:56 AM

Pedro losing that big playoff game to the Spankees, and the last time sampras won at wimbledon.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:03 AM

One thing that a lot of Sox fans I run into don't understand:

The worst sports moment in a lot of New York Yankee fans' lives was in 1986 when the Mets won the World Series.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Ted Williams last at bat.......

I was 13. It was a cold, rainy day and I rushed home from school, flew though doing my paper route, and got back to my room in time to turn on the radio and hear Curt Gowdy announce it.

The game meant nothing....The Sox were an awful team and never were in the hint. Williams had been bothered by a bad neck pretty much the whole season, and speculation was rife that he would hang it up at the end of that year.

To me, a thirteen year old kid whose only idol was TSW, that was unthinkable, but it was clear from reading the sports pages that it was going to happen.

This was the last home game of the year at Fenway, and then the Sox were going to Yankee Stadium to finish out the season. I was looking forward to that, as he would probably knock a few out there with that ultra-short right field porch.

It turns out that Gowdy (who was a close friend of TSW) had spoken to him, and knew that Ted was not going to make the trip to the Bronx.

When Ted hit the ball out and was circling the bases, Gowdy announced...."Ted Williams has just hit a home run in his last at bat in the major leagues".

I was stunned when I heard it, and just couldn't believe that it was over.

The tears welled up in my eyes, and to this day when I think about that moment, they still do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo-TARkAoA
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 AM

1991 - NFC Championship game. I was 6, I was visiting my grandparents in Florida. I watched the game with my Grandpa, a couple of his friends, and my uncle, all from New York. I was the lone Niner fan. We had the game won. I was celebrating. Roger Craig fumbled. I cried.

Teens and later: Aaron Boone brought me very close to tears, as did the Blazers game 7 choke job against the Lakers. I left Autzen stadium on the verge of tears after the 2001 game vs. Stanford. When some USC guy hit a three pointer against the Ducks with under three seconds left, down five... then stole the inbounds pass and drained a half court shot at the buzzer, I would have cried if I wasn't so stunned. I think those have been the toughest games for me in my adult life.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 PM

2003 Eastern Conference finals, Game 7. I thought the Senators were destined to win that year. Seeing Friesen score in the last two minutes just knocked everything out of me.

Tears of joy for the 2002 hockey gold medal.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were at least a couple of Giants games that made me go to my room and cry, but the only one I remember vividly was the 1989 divisional playoff game against the Rams that the Giants lost in overtime (because of a pass interference call THAT WAS TOTAL BS!). That game ruined my whole week.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a bad one for me too. I was 14 at the time. The worst one for me though was when Al Toon caught the TD pass to knock the Giants out of the playoffs (the last game of the season). If the 49rs had won on that Monday night, NY would have made it anyway. But they took a dive because they didn't want to face the Giants in the playoffs.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that a lot of Sox fans I run into don't understand:

The worst sports moment in a lot of New York Yankee fans' lives was in 1986 when the Mets won the World Series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I don't know a single Yankee fan that wanted Boston to win the WS that year.

Met fans hate the Yankees A LOT more than Yankee fans hate the Mets.