Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Opposing muscle groups versus \"working together\" groups for upper body

I see a lot of people advocating back/chest one day, and bicep/tricep another day because you are working opposing muscle groups.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do biceps/back and chest/triceps because a lot of the exercises for each overlaps?

Sorry for how vague/noobish this is, but if someone more knowledgable could expand on this I would appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Opposing muscle groups versus \"working together\" groups for upper body

You can't really isolate back from biceps without choosing horrid exercises. It doesn't really apply.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Opposing muscle groups versus \"working together\" groups for upper body

[ QUOTE ]
You can't really isolate back from biceps without choosing horrid exercises. It doesn't really apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp,

Barring that I think this is merely a normal split arguement.

IMO splits dont matter overly much. As long as you hit the weights hard and rest/eat accordingly finding a split (or better yet a series of splits you like and can cycle through and continually alter) is pretty minor. Obviously certain splits can be impacted by your goals (there are specific training splits for upping your weights on the three main powerlifting lifts for example, etc) but if you were to take trainees one doing back/biceps day and another doing back/chest assuming overworking and joint issues within the specific workout split is a constant non factor and everything else is equal.... the difference would be a small % if at all
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 AM

I typed out a pretty lengthy response but I realized it was gibberish so I'll just say this: what works for you may not work for others. Even professionals have very different splits. Its always a good idea to mix up workouts so I'll recommend this-try doing one split for a month then switching to the other. Eventually you'll figure out which works better for you or if maybe a combination of the 2 is what helps you the most.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM

GKA,

To expand. Most of your best movements will include both. Any row or chin variant have a very strong bicep factor in them. In addition all pressing movement are mostly tricep exercises. I doubt that the split in question calls for isolation movements for both areas, so likely it results in back/chest/tri/bi with a secondary emphasis on tri/bi on that day. Likely this emphasis might come through assitance movements, but that is just conjecture on my part. I wouldn't expect to see these two days close to each other in a weekly split. Maybe like a tues/fri type deal since there is so much overlap.

I actually like the more full body type splits. But I think they should just break down and add deads to one day and squats to another and just make each workout 2x a week.