Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 04:46 AM

Default WSOP 5k, lets get crazy vs Nordberg

Previous to this hand i have been super tight until i made the big preflop call with A9cc vs Berman to beat his J5cc. I now have like 21 or 22k, but previous to that call i had been raising pre almost never.

Nordberg has a big stack (50? 60?) and has been flat calling people a lot pre, though never me because i was so rarely raising. He'd also been calling people down pretty light on like 2nd pair type stuff(and was always right), though i'm not sure how he'd handle me post because of my image. Lets wrap things up here:

Me: 21kish
Him: 55kish

I am MP3 holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], blinds 400/800 with 100 ante.

Preflop: Folds to hero, hero raises to 2200, HJ folds, NB calls on CO, button and blinds fold.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 3200, NB calls without to much thought.

At this point theres 13000 in the pot. I have like 16k behind me. If turn comes a T i will likely just bet since I can see him checking back on that card quite a lot.

However, if turn is a heart what are peoples thoughts on my plan?

Does anyone like check-shoving over a bet of 5k or less and check folding to a larger bet?
Do you prefer a different line such as leading like 10k which obviously commits me?
Do people check-fold at all?

Thoughts overall?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: WSOP 5k, lets get crazy vs Nordberg

eh, Nordberg plays good. I'm not crazy about firing a second barrel or check raising all in. I doubt Nordberg ever bets 5k or less when you check to him on the turn here, and if he does I think you're in trouble.

If the turn is a T I'd bet again. If its a heart I'd probably bet again too, I might just jam.

I'm obviously a weak tight nit, but I'm check folding a lot on a blank turn here.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eh, Nordberg plays good. I'm not crazy about firing a second barrel or check raising all in. I doubt Nordberg ever bets 5k or less when you check to him on the turn here, and if he does I think you're in trouble.

If the turn is a T I'd bet again. If its a heart I'd probably bet again too, I might just jam.

I'm obviously a weak tight nit, but I'm check folding a lot on a blank turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i pretty much agree with everything said here.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 AM

If the turn is a heart a shove seems right with your ultra tight image.

How has he been playing out of the blinds though? If he's been calling raises light out of the blinds I'd lean toward even shoving a blank turn, hard to see him calling you down light here.

I don't see a Check-Raise all in as an option here at all, seems that whatever he bets you have no fold equity over.

If the turn bricks, and it goes check check. And the river bricks, a shove here could be good since you're image is very tight, and it's likely that he was trying to control the pot against you making his river calling range of a 16k overshove pretty tight.

I also think you should have C-bet more, he's been calling light with marginal holdings such as 2nd pair, so larger c-bet from a tight raiser will probably make him dump his weaker holdings.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 AM

I"m just giving up here. If you catch a heart jamming is probably best but even that I'm not crazy about. Lead again if you make a straight.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:24 AM

I c/f unless the turn is a heart or a ten. If its a heart or a ten I bet like 2/3 pot and call a shove. If its a queen or a nine I might c/c but thats unlikely.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 AM

your flop bet is too small assuming 9-handed (3200 into 6500 pot?), dunno if you're just guesstimating though

i think going for a c/r on any turn is pretty bad.

shove a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn

if turn is a T, i just go ahead and check and don't care if he checks behind, then shove like most rivers

if turn is a Q, then i c/something and read his soul for whether he has 2-pair or air if he bets

anything else c/f
Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Seems pretty clear we should check a blank turn and lead a heart or T. Whether to shove or bet a committing amount on them depends on metagame. If you can't think of any excuse to do one or the other, whatever, they're both fine.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i think going for a c/r on any turn is pretty bad.

shove a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn

if turn is a T, i just go ahead and check and don't care if he checks behind, then shove like most rivers

anything else c/f

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post more. Oh, and agree.