Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 04:34 AM

Default AA in WSOP 5k event

History: A round or two ago i jammed 15 BB's on the CO with 77 because antes are high and the SB and BB both had big stacks and kind of liked cold calling which could be a disaster. Other than that i've been pretty tight.

Online i think this is a bit more clear, live i'm not so sure. The table actually has a lot of aware, observant, and competent players for once, so they will likely find an UTG std raise, limp, or 2.5X raise suspecious. Then again, this is live where people have no idea about shoving ranges and take all in's quite seriously, though a couple of players on the table (matt24, nordberg) had considerable online experience.

10 handed table, i am UTG with 4400 and AA. Blinds 200/400 with 50 ante. BB is Daniel Aliai, who is somewhat short.

Whats our play and why?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: AA in WSOP 5k event

Just jam it. I think you're way more likely to get loose action from LP/blind players than if you limp or raise 2.5/3x. If your opponents are solid they aren't going to be raising a limp or normal raise with AJ/77ish, but they might call your allin if they're in late enough position.

At most tables in the smaller events (1500-2500NLs) I'd be more inclined to limp here, or min raise or something like that. Many of the weak players I've encountered at the WSOP will hardly consider your stack in a situation like this and only play their hand. But most of these weak players will take an allin to mean serious business. Therefore I'd say they're more likely to give you action with AJ/77 if you don't go all in, and instead limp or make a small raise.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:29 AM

Easy shove, if you open raise to 1100 UTG you'll get less action IMO. Limping is the worst play by far, as long as your image is solid and your opponents are solid as well(which they are) you will be auto-put on AA/KK and your reverse implied odds will be terrible.

I would personally take a minute, pretend to think here, and shove. Worst case scenario: you pick up a pot equal to 1/4 your stack.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 AM

BTW in the actual hand i shoved, and i agree with what colson said about making a more std raise in like a 1500 event. Also, colson I hope you post more, your input is always welcome.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 AM

If you are not going to push, I would miniraise to 800-1000. You could reasonably make the same play with a hand too weak to open push from early position, leaving room to fold to a reraise. This should look less suspicious than a standard raise or limp. At this table, the open push may be better.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just jam it. I think you're way more likely to get loose action from LP/blind players than if you limp or raise 2.5/3x. If your opponents are solid they aren't going to be raising a limp or normal raise with AJ/77ish, but they might call your allin if they're in late enough position.

At most tables in the smaller events (1500-2500NLs) I'd be more inclined to limp here, or min raise or something like that. Many of the weak players I've encountered at the WSOP will hardly consider your stack in a situation like this and only play their hand. But most of these weak players will take an allin to mean serious business. Therefore I'd say they're more likely to give you action with AJ/77 if you don't go all in, and instead limp or make a small raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, like, a good post.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Raising or limping really would be sketchy to me. I think raising looks the most sketchy as some live players would limp in here with a small pocket pair hoping to set and not understanding that they are not nearly deep enough to do so. Not saying you don't understand the concept but I'm sure its popular at the WSOP.

If you shove you get called by 88+,AQ+, maybe even some stuff like KQs, AJ from a deep stack.

What would you do with JJ/AK in this spot? I'd assume a shove, so thats the way to go.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree.

Question, is raise 3x with A2s - A5s in this spot a good idea?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] why would that be a good idea?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:29 PM

Pretend that you think it is your big blind and throw the 400 in, then after a few people have acted, comment to the bb that he put in 200 too much and throw 200 from the bb into his stack....when the table calls attention to your mistake ask if it is ok to take the 400 back, and when they tell you that you cannot, raise a huge fuss and call the floor. Explain that no one else has put chips in and it doesnt matter.

When the floor disagrees and makes you keep it in, continue to pout...now...

If someone raises, just call and ck raise allin on the flop...

If no one raises, announce a 1/2 pot sized bet in the dark.

The combination of all of these acts of deceptions will ensure that you get action, and also, unfortunately, that you get sucked out on....but it will def be more fun than just open shoving no?

sheets

p.s.... shove.