Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

What's it called where you think it's dumb to think God is sitting up there judging us on whether or not we charge interest on loans, eat pork, or have buttsex, but you also think it's pretty unlikely the universe just popped into existence without the influence of some higher intelligence?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 AM

I don't believe in God.

You know what I find to be a more interesting question tho? If no one ever educated a person about Gods/Religions how many people would still have spiritual feelings and how many would have none? I really don't feel it the way I think others do if you know what I mean.

I like other people and I feel a sense of goodwill towards my fellow man but I really don't feel spiritual about it. I just treat people the way I want to be treated. So I have trouble buying into most religions. Is it just instinctual and we are just born with or without out it? I explained my thoughts on this poorly but I'm too lazy to try again.

The devil tho he lives next door to me he is real. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in God.

You know what I find to be a more interesting question tho? If no one ever educated a person about Gods/Religions how many people would still have spiritual feelings and how many would have none? I really don't feel it the way I think others do if you know what I mean.

I like other people and I feel a sense of goodwill towards my fellow man but I really don't feel spiritual about it. I just treat people the way I want to be treated. So I have trouble buying into most religions. Is it just instinctual and we are just born with or without out it? I explained my thoughts on this poorly but I'm too lazy to try again.

The devil tho he lives next door to me he is real. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying (I think). People are good to each other just because, and religion swooped in and took credit for it.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 AM

I think "intelligence" puts stuff in human terms that we can't understand any more than a bacterium could comprehend a supernova. If natural process have created everything in the universe since the big bang, I don't see why some natural process we will never be able to understand created the big bang.

I'm just saying we have no language to even discuss what process brought our universe into existence.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 AM

I live a blissfull life, and take solance in the fact that there is no omnipresent deity watching me when I masturbate!

On a more serious note, I don't feel a need to belive in any kind of greater being or force. However, I can understand that there are some, who like to think that there is, and don't mind as long as they don't start telling me that there is..
Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 AM

This is going to be an awful, awful post, but I'm going to post it anyway.

I couldn't sleep a few nights and was thinking about the Christian, think Dante, idea of Hell. Now, most very intelligent minds, think DS, will say that Christianity is a bunch of BS, etc. However, put odds on a Christian sense of Hell being real, so if you sin, you exist forever in eternal damnation. What would the be? What would DS put them at? 1,000,000,000:1? Even at those odds, is it worth risking a trillion lifetimes of the worst pain/boredom/unease imaginable and sinning?

Did I mention this would be an awful post?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:25 AM

God is seriously the biggest prank pulled on mankind.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's it called where you think it's dumb to think God is sitting up there judging us on whether or not we charge interest on loans, eat pork, or have buttsex, but you also think it's pretty unlikely the universe just popped into existence without the influence of some higher intelligence?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called answering a question with a question.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 AM

Yes. I'm a pretty devout Catholic.

I was raised Catholic by my parents, and I embraced the faith more seriously while in high school. I considered a priestly vocation for several years, but eventually decided to get married. I teach philosophy now.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 AM

CMI,

I believe in a higher power. I believe that there's something bigger than us in the universe. I believe that there's something behind the feelings of universal rights and wrongs and moral codes we have beyond just collective consciousness over time. What that "thing" is, though, is something I don't pretend to have any ability to figure out. For lack of any better way to represent this concept that I believe in, I'll call it God.