Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Semi OT: The Power of Imagination

Based on my limited knowledge in the field it seems to me that modern psychotherapy has placed much focus on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or using your thoughts to change how you feel.

While I understand its benefits in helping those with mental disorders, I've personally found imagery to be more powerful in altering mood and in motivation. For example, I have a hard time getting out of bad so to remedy this issue I imagine a crowd of people chanting my name as it the crowd grows louder and louder.

I know this may seem corny, but it does work for me. I'm curious as to how you guys use your imaginations to aid your poker game. How do you use it in your daily lives?

Maybe its a case of whatever floats your boat, but to those more versed in the field of psychology than I am, why is there a greater emphasis on thoughts instead of imagery?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Semi OT: The Power of Imagination

What makes you think that they're two separate things? Or I suppose a better way to phrase it, is are they separate things for everyone? Personally, they're pretty much the same.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:59 PM

I see where you are getting at. Let me clarify. I was referring to the distinction between internal dialogue and imagery. I'm saying in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy they may instruct you to make certain statements like "I like myself for who I am" and "I'm a strong and capable person," but they really don't instruct you on how to visualize being a strong and capable person.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:29 AM

That's why Stuart Smalley gazes at homself in a mirror while doing his positive affirmations [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they really don't instruct you on how to visualize being a strong and capable person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently visualizing is a powerful tool for professional athletes. I say apparently because I do not have any personal experience using it. But I have read that it works. At least for phsyical activities. I cannot see how it could work for poker. Poker is a probabilistic event in which there are many variables that influence ones decisions. Visualization to be effective, and I am assuming, would need a somewhat static event with a singular approach to accomplishing ones goal. An example would be a 15 foot golf putt.

Just an opinion.

pokervintage