Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
no one could be a dumber game-coach than lloyd. it must be pretty easy to gameplan against a team that runs "stretch left" on 90% of their rushing plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
they were really effective up the middle and to the right imo

lol i hate michigan fans like you... absolutely hate them. Second guessing, whiny and generally not having any idea what they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

easy there
Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 AM

There's an article in the Detroit News today about Mike DeBord and Ron English believing they should be interviewed for the head coaching job.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...711210388/1131

Money quote from DeBord on how he would approach an interview: "When you go into an interview for something you really want, you have to go with your gun loaded, and I'm going to have my gun loaded." I am so tempted to make a comment on what DeBord should do with his loaded gun, but I won't say it.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 AM

People need to chill. There will be all sorts of rumors, and some people (like Debord) will be interviewed who should never get the job. And they won't. It'll be fine. But since we have this long dead period (unless LSU loses) there's going to be speculation and people will freak out (Ferentz is the hot rumor of the day and people are trying to hang themselves).
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM

One more thing. ESPN is quite obnoxious in asking a bunch of people if they are interested in the job, getting "no" for an answer, and now talking about how Michigan is on to Plan B. Pretty soon the story will be that no one wants to coach Michigan. Some OSU friends mentioned they did the same thing when they hired Tressel. It's just obnoxious, story-making reporting. Par for the course.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:24 AM

Matthew Zemek wrote an interesting column after the LSU-Arkansas game. He absolutely roasted Miles.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/704756.html

A few money quotes:

"He’s (Miles) a fine human being—which should count for more in the long run than one’s performance when wearing the headsets on the sideline—but for the record, this loss to Houston Nutt’s Hogs proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Les Miles is certifiably loony as a play caller."

and

"The aftermath of LSU’s narrow win over Auburn demonstrated, once again, that human beings generally lack the courage to criticize victors, and the same courage to praise losers. Les Miles’ lucky escape in that two-Tiger tilt shielded him from an onslaught of outrage, even though the facts of the situation revealed—for all the world to see—that Miles just doesn’t have a clue when it comes to late-game strategy."

and

"Miles handles many dimensions of a coach’s complete job description with admirable poise and professionalism; but when the matter of late-game management is up for discussion, the LSU coach is Les than merely mediocre—he’s absolutely horrible."

To pile on, I thought I'd throw in this YouTube clip from the Tennessee game in 2005. LSU intercepts a pass late in the game, and Miles immediately tries to get the refs attention trying to call timeout. Apparently Miles thought the clock would continue to run. At the end of the clip, you can see an assistant coach try to physical restrain Les to prevent him from calling an uncessary timeout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkJAhckABM
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM

I hope this loss doesn't make it more likely he will come to Michigan.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 AM

From the same guy who broke the story on Carr retiring:

http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/...e-ferentz.html

"I've sat on this a couple days waiting for some third-party corroboration and now I have it: Kirk Ferentz has been offered the Michigan job. The general feeling is he will turn it down out of fidelity to Iowa, in case you were thinking of making a late-night run to Ann Arbor (or Iowa City) Torch & Pitchfork."

To Bill Martin/Mary Sue/Lloyd, from Michigan fans everywhere:

Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Other rumor mongering from the same link in my post above:

"BONUS item that I don't have multiple sources on, so consider this not 100% reliable, but logical: Grand Valley's athletic director has been contacted by a Michigan representative doing due diligence on Brian Kelly. That representative? Lloyd Carr. That might explain the prominence in Ferentz in the search. The Horror, evidently, was not enough to shake Carr's influence despite the claims made in his outgoing press conference.

BONUS BONUS item: Grand Valley's AD has been contacted by another athletic director doing background checks on Kelly. His name? Kevin White. His school? Notre Dame."

If it's between Kelly and Ferentz, then holy [censored] we better hire Kelly.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's between Kelly and Ferentz, then holy [censored] we better hire Kelly.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

I lived within 20 minutes of GVSU when Kelly was there. I watched an awful lot of his games in person. I like him.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM

I think Kelly would be a very solid choice. Miles is still my #1 (assuming no Tedford or the impossibilities of Meyer/Stoops/etc). I'd have Kelly second.

FWIW, there's some reason to assume that this might not be exactly true (God, I hope not). Martin has made IMO very good decisions with basketball and with baseball (paying Maloney), upgrading facilities, etc, so I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt that he's not completely insane on this one, and that there is a perfectly rational explanation for this.