Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

that would be my last contact with that aunt if it were me
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM

My uncle is a protestant minister and at the funeral of his aunt (and also my fathers aunt) he came up to my grandma (her sister is the aunt) and my dad and said something like "its too bad she is going to burn in Hell."

I thought that was pretty nice.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Wow, I'd be SOO freeking pissed if my sister said something like that to me after my best friend died. I'd end up in jail for sure, assuming she calls the cops after I break her nose.

Man I hate born agains.. such condescending a-holes.

Good luck with your aunt..
Old 11-05-2007, 12:48 AM

I've never heard a born again say something like that about someone who died. They might say something like that before someone dies as an interpretation of scripture. Its hard for me to believe they said that. She must not have studied the bible much or she'd know you leave the judging to a higher power. Maybe she wasn't smart. Smart people are usually tactful.

Smart people can make distinctions between God and the actions of people.

Its possible to defend your friend without getting outraged. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She must not have studied the bible much or she'd know you leave the judging to a higher power

[/ QUOTE ]

they aren't judging. god did the judging and communicated to them through scripture, general revelation, and the holy spirit concerning what his judgments are.

they're messengers, not judges.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard a born again say something like that about someone who died. They might say something like that before someone dies as an interpretation of scripture. Its hard for me to believe they said that. She must not have studied the bible much or she'd know you leave the judging to a higher power. Maybe she wasn't smart. Smart people are usually tactful.

Smart people can make distinctions between God and the actions of people.

Its possible to defend your friend without getting outraged. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that judging? If I murder someone, and you tell me that murder is a sin and I will have to answer for it, how is that judging?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Sephus and Vhawk01 if it pleases you both to be deliberately obtuse then be my guest. But she couldn't see into his heart and know every secret moment of his life, could she? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sephus and Vhawk01 if it pleases you both to be deliberately obtuse then be my guest. But she couldn't see into his heart and know every secret moment of his life, could she? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if she had said "99% sure" its all better. Pretend she did.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NIV Mark 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."