Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Pokerstars - Paying taxes if you live in denmark

I was wondering how it works if you live in Denmark and cash-out on pokerstars? Since the site doesn't have an EU license you are supposed to pay taxes, but how does it work? How are the rules for other european countries?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars - Paying taxes if you live in denmark

well, you simply put it on your Tax return (selvangivelse) as a secondary income. Contact SKAT for more information, they'll probaly be more than happy to help :-)
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM

What happens if you don't put it on your tax return?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 PM

I'm not from Denmark, but I'm going to guess that you'd be breaking the law, and the tax man will hunt you down if he sees any suspicious stuff going on in your bank account.

That's how it goes everywhere else.

Mind you the govt doesnt really care about small fry players (US & Canadian at least)- unless you're making a living wage playing poker I'm not sure I'd even worry about it.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Wait ! Does this mean that I - as a European playing on Stars - am better off playing on Party for example ?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:32 AM

Maybe it's a plan to "forward" your winnings from Pokerstars to PartyPoker and then cash-out on your bankaccount.

PartyPoker has an EU license and according to EU policy you don't have to pay taxes. I'm not 100% sure about this, so maybe someone can confirm this?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Isn't the tax policy determined by what country you live in rather than what site you play on?

So if you live in a country where gambling profits are taxable then you have to pay taxes on them no matter how you go about cashing them out?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM

It's true that there is no taxes on Party Poker, plus alot of other sites. The thing that really sucks for me is that I can't find a site I like as much as pokerstars. I tried to play on party poker but everything about it puts me on life tilt. Everything from how the slider is hard to manage, to the looks (even with mods) to the players, to the high rake to how they constantly nag you with emails. When I cashed out they told me I had to play longer since I had to give them some more rake. I get a feeling all they care about is money. I simply don't enjoy poker on Party Poker. I have decided to continue on stars. It probably won't be an issue since i'm a small stakes player. I hear it only becomes a real problem if you for example suddenly buy an expensive car that needs registration ect. I doubt they care too much for small amounts. I don't see how they can find out about it either. If anyone knows about a european site that matches pokerstars please tell.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Keep cashouts small, cash out through Party and other EU sites like mentioned earlier in this thread. Donīt know how they do it in Denmark, but here in Sweden banks are requiered to report big lump sums that are transfered and deposited. Keep it small and avoid the man.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:53 PM

can I transfer money from stars to a EU site and avoid problems that way?