Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Quick guide to satellite qualifying for big events

I don't pretend to know everything about sats, but they are my strongest game, and I've made bankrolls from scratch on 4 separate sites solely through qualifying for big ticket stuff or taking the money very cheaply. I am gonna make some fairly big assertions here that I don't want to take the time to/sometimes can't prove, but believe to be right:

-When you understand how the mid and late game in a multiple seat awarding satellite works, your edge is *far* greater than in a sat which only awards one seat [I think this has to do with LAG's and calling stations accidentally playing correctly more often in the latter];
-Your $/hour is far higher in events with bigger buyins that take less time (duh), and, less obviously, award more seats;
-As a minor aside, if you are trying to qualify for something *very* cheaply or build a bankroll, the Party Steps (especially miniSteps) are your friend, much more than you would possibly expect*;
-Related to the first point, your edge in a sat that pays multiple seats over a bad player is exponentially greater than normal. However, the corollary is that a great player has a bigger than normal edge over you. [The specific edge is related to having the table covered in the midgame and open pushing/calling pushes in the endgame.]

[*I am open to a $1000 or more wager that I can make it from a miniStep 1 (5+1) to a miniStep 5 (400+30) playing on $30 or less. I'd make it less than that but I've gotta leave room for aces getting cracked. Of course, this blatantly ignores $/hour.]

Having gone through the random assertions, here's some conclusions that you can draw from them:

1)Satellites are a lot more valuable when they pay lots of seats, don't take very long and have lots of dead money. The Stars turbo rebuys are probably the best sats in online poker.
2)Conversely, sats that pay one seat either reward SNG players over MTT players, are just plain bad value, or both, due to the decreased edge you have over the field and the decreased value of a large stack/proper pushbotting. The Stars regular 33r (which has 400+ players and pays out 1 trip) downright blows.
2.5)Special case: due to the way that good players filter to the top and are then pitted against each other, the double shootouts are horrible and should be avoided at all costs. I firmly believe only the top 8-10 people in a given shootout have any edge at all, and you have a much lower chance than usual of being in that 10. [This is kinda like the Steps, but not really, because in a Step situation you can get into a 430 SNG that pays 5 spots for $30. In a DS you are paying $175 for, at best, around a 17% chance of playing in a $1500 SNG that only pays one spot and will have The Shrike and four other equally skilled guys in it. That deal sucks.]
3)I dunno, I said this guide would be quick so insert your own conclusions here. I'll just close it out with this: if I was offered a choice between a 1000 player field that paid out 100 seats and a 10 player field that paid one, I would pay three times the vig to play in the first one. Yes, I honestly think the difference is that great.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Quick guide to satellite qualifying for big events

I'm interested to see what you have to say about late game MTT strategy in a satellite such as the 640 satellite to Atlantis... When I was in this tournament, 11 seats payed and I was 4th in chips with 18 to go.

Could I fold out here? I played pretty weak, but DIDNT fold out and lost chips, and eventually lost the seat... I didn't have a good strategy for this stage of the game.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks -Mike
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 AM

I really wish i had read this, before blowing 3k in doubleshootouts... at first i thought the looked like a good value, but the variancec is huge, and the 2nd table you play at, is not an easy one. The saturday deal is sooooo much better.

And i just started playing the mini-steps, so glad to read that you think they're not that hard.

Good little summary, Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:51 AM

What about this structure

18 players, 1st place gets seat, 2nd gets buyin + a few bucks, 3rd gets buyin back. This is a stars mtt, normal levels.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the advice...so I'm basically wasting my time trying to qualify to Atlantis through the 3R? That one only gives away like 2-3 seats for a 150-200 person field.. but if you win that you have a legit shot to win a seat in the 615 event (at least top 10 pay).. while the 5.50R to the DS gives away like 20+ usually, but gives you entrance to an event where there's only one winner.. catch-22.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 AM

That one is impossible to answer without exact stacks. One thing about playing sats correctly is that when the bubble approaches, you must know the exact stacks, blind positions and tendencies of every player at all times.

Aside from that, there are times when if the guy to your left is playing correctly, you will get free chips no matter what he has. You should use those times liberally, because they are literally the difference between winning and losing very very often. Of course, if he's a donk, he might eventually call with KJo for 2/3 of his stack; like I said, know the tendencies.

In general, though, if you're 4'th with 18 to go, stacks are deep (>15 BB average or so) and you lose the seat, something went very wrong.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:53 AM

Nice post adanthar. RE: the many seat satellites, I completely agree. The stars $36+3 to the Sunday (1 seat per 6 entries) is my favorite satellite (this structure in particular - 6 to 1 - Bodog also has a low $ one).

My initial impression of the steps (many months ago) seems to be the opposite of yours, but I trust your experience. Maybe I will give them another shot.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 AM

I have not played those but would suspect that unless the people in that tournament really really wanted their buyins back, your edge would be greater elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 AM

What I would do myself is play the 5.50r, take the 175 T$ if you win and use it on two tries at the $80 sats to the 650, which pay 1/8. Assuming you are average in the $80's, you will be better off here than in the 3r's, not counting $/hour (which is like a billion times higher going through the 5.50's.)
Old 10-20-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I would do myself is play the 5.50r, take the 175 T$ if you win and use it on two tries at the $80 sats to the 650, which pay 1/8. Assuming you are average in the $80's, you will be better off here than in the 3r's, not counting $/hour (which is like a billion times higher going through the 5.50's.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I think that is more of a logical approach.. cuz these 3R's are frustraattting getting down to the end after like 4 hours and coming away with nothing.