Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Instant ruin: a lifetime of work down the drain due to 1 bad decis

James and his fiance Sarah were in my crowd of friends at university here in London, and his brother was for a while my best friend. On holiday in an idyllic spot on the coast of Ireland, after a night's partying James and a girl called Heather decided to go for a dawn swim:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/artic...7319225!7001!-1

Read the article and you will get a picture how contented and promising their lives were. I wasn't in touch with them any more by the time this happened, but it profoundly shocked me. I went to the memorial service which was one of the most moving and emotional experiences of my life. I still find it difficult to accept that one quick unthought decision could have such fatal consequences. Seeing the hundred or so friends and relatives gathered in a park days after he died, realising how many lives he had affected. Death felt so much closer after this.

It made me see on the one hand that one action can ruin or end your life; but also in seeing how full and well-lived James' life was, I momentarily realised the value of just being alive and the importance of making the best of it while you can.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 AM

A rich man who decides its a good idea to run a dog fighting operation on one of his properties has to be near the top of the list.

Also, most of the insider traders who got nabbed in the early '90's would fit this bill.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

One of my friends spent $30,000 and the last 3 years of his life going to mechanics school to become an Audi technician.

He got a bike about 3 months ago. About 2 months ago he got pulled over going 120 mph in a 65. (I don't know why he pulled over... probably because he doesn't have much experience.)

The judge fined him, and suspended his license for 60 days. Without a license, he is useless to his employer. He will probably be fired. They were helping him pay for school too.

Stupid decisions can really have far reaching after effects.

He is appealing the decision, who knows how that will go.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He got a bike about 3 months ago. About 2 months ago he got pulled over going 120 mph in a 65. (I don't know why he pulled over... probably because he doesn't have much experience.)

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack, but people who ride motorcycles say this all the time. To me it just sounds like BS dick waving. Is it really the norm to run from the police on a crotch rocket?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A rich man who decides its a good idea to run a dog fighting operation on one of his properties has to be near the top of the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if Vick never played a down in the NFL again, I'd be highly surprised if he were ruined.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack, but people who ride motorcycles say this all the time. To me it just sounds like BS dick waving. Is it really the norm to run from the police on a crotch rocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Results
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Instant ruin: a lifetime of work down the drain due to 1 bad decision

Maybe. Or maybe she thought her pile'o'crap was worth a lot more than it was.

And anyone selling at auction should have enough sense to know how it works. If you place a reserve (minimum amount) on your lots, if no bid reaches your reserve, no sale occurs, and you still own your items.

Or, maybe she got ripped off, who knows.....

MM MD
Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Instant ruin: a lifetime of work down the drain due to 1 bad decision

Drinking and driving immediately comes to mind. One of the best things to happen to me was a DUI the week after my 22nd birthday. Like a lot of people, I didnt make a habit of drinking and driving but I would on occasion do it. My Criminal Law professor made a wonderful generalization about the US justice system that is 100 percent applicable to this thread. He described it as a punishment lottery. Think of the times that many of us have been behind the wheel intoxicated. Imagine if a person were crossing the street, someone were stopped in the middle of the road, whatever. Next thing you know, BAM! You just bought a winning ticket. Your life would be catastrophicly changed forever. Because lets face it, there are lots of people doing hard time who are not unlike a lot of "good" people out there who made the same bad decisions but werent holding a winning ticket.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drinking and driving immediately comes to mind. One of the best things to happen to me was a DUI the week after my 22nd birthday. Like a lot of people, I didnt make a habit of drinking and driving but I would on occasion do it. My Criminal Law professor made a wonderful generalization about the US justice system that is 100 percent applicable to this thread. He described it as a punishment lottery. Think of the times that many of us have been behind the wheel intoxicated. Imagine if a person were crossing the street, someone were stopped in the middle of the road, whatever. Next thing you know, BAM! You just bought a winning ticket. Your life would be catastrophicly changed forever. Because lets face it, there are lots of people doing hard time who are not unlike a lot of "good" people out there who made the same bad decisions but werent holding a winning ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound liek me, I learned a little earlier though, about 20 when I put my head through the windsheild of my car after hitting a parked one at 3:30am, w/ no consequences whatsoever other than being scared shitless.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to ride and most of the people I hung out with would not even consider pulling over if they were on a highway. In the city a higher percentage would pull over because it is more likely for there to be more cops around/get in an accident. I never got pulled over on my bike but I would have pulled over no matter if I was doing 165 in a 70, I figure I'm already pushing my luck enough by riding a motorcycle, it's not worth death to try to get out of being pulled over.