Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically a loser in this regard. I don't try to tackle anything. I manage a company that sells books about gambling and get to say penis on a message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Mason your boss? I thought you are suppose to discourage the use of the "p" word.

Don't be afraid to delete this but I couldn't help but think of the the old days (i.e., the Abdul Jalib/Mason) spat.

~ Rick
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To show that I am balanced on this issue, I think we should have a thread where people detail the most exotic animals they have eaten. Frog's legs are the extent for me. They did taste like chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

snake soup
pigeon
eel

I'm sure there are more from China trips over 20 years.

The worst was baby eels that were slimy when I was pregnant. It was the only thing I couldn't choke down. I gagged, tried to hide it and spit it into my napkin.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These things will happen because our tacit approval shelters and emboldens the people who make them happen, and their supporters. If a thug or murderer is "on our side," the rules suddenly get changed. And then we pretend we play no part in things that happen largely because of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tacit approval? I'm pro-life and it's nonsense to accuse me of tacit approval. In fact I insist the government prosecute any murderer to the fullest extent of the law. How do abortion doctors come up twice for you in an animal rights thread?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shelly Berman, the old-time comedian (who plays Larry David's father on Curb), used to say that he had a joke in his act that involved throwing his dog and his mother-in-law out of his 5th story window. He says he used to get tons of letters denigrating him for harming the dog, but never one for harming his mother-in-law.

[/ QUOTE ]

No fair again. The audience knew his mother-in-law and their mother-in-laws and mother-in-laws in general. But a good joke anyway.

I'd pick apart the rest of your post but "No Country For Old Men" finally made it down to a local theater so I gotta go before my friend gets here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

These things will happen because our tacit approval shelters and emboldens the people who make them happen, and their supporters. If a thug or murderer is "on our side," the rules suddenly get changed. And then we pretend we play no part in things that happen largely because of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tacit approval? I'm pro-life and it's nonsense to accuse me of tacit approval. In fact I insist the government prosecute any murderer to the fullest extent of the law. How do abortion doctors come up twice for you in an animal rights thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, please disregard my post here and my question. Something is off. This really feels like bait. I don't have the time or energy to continue this vein of discussion. The T-Day pre-cooking has begun!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was clearly explained already, as you well know.

As you also know, I didn't accuse you directly of anything. I did accuse society as a whole, and I think any group that doesn't explicitly condemn its excesses is doing something very wrong and creating a nurturing environment for them. This would apply to cops not coming down hard on police brutality, churches not coming down hard on child molestation by priests, PETA activists equating animal and human life, and by the same token the anti-abortion movement for with great frequency over a span of decades being a threatening, violent bunch of thugs and sometimes worse.

I don't believe that being in a society, group, or mob absolves one of responsibility for what it does. Though there are others, we still have the freedom to act, however uncomfortable the prospect. Not doing so is taking a moral stand just as much as doing so would be. Responsibility can't really be escaped.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Brains and intestine are common meat things in tacos, so I have tasted them. I like brains, but I don't like intestines (although intestines are way more popular).
I have eaten the eye of a fish (it tasted like calcium).
I have eaten the coagulated blood (this is called "morcilla" in spanish and it is commonly eaten in Argentina).
I am not sure now, but I think I have eaten testicles too. This is another dish which is not uncommon to eat in a taco. If I have eaten this, it was a long time ago.
One of my favorite things to eat, is the tongue. Whenever a foreign friend visits my hometown in Mexico, I make them taste tongue. Most people love it.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured someone would post about that here. I assume some people saw it. Maybe I'm blind and missed the topic?

One of the controversies, of course, is her comparisons between slavery, holocaust victims and our treatment of animals. Without giving my opinion on that, I don't believe that the documentary would have been made and shown on HBO without that type of controversy. I also don't believe that those offended by these types of comparisons would have been swayed in the direction of PETA had she taken a gentler direction. Tactically, therefore, it was the right move on her part, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a guy that grew up on a a farm, and did work on that farm which included killing animals, I say PETA can go [censored] themselves. I own part of a farm now and continue to raise animals. There are a great many people in this country breaking their backs to put food on their own table and in doing so put food on everyone else's table. I realize that there are giant corporate farms and stockyards, but at the same time there are a ton of family farms in competition with those entities. Farms that have been raising and slaughtering animals for decades.

It's not animal torture, it's the damn life cycle. Animals die so that we can live. There's an enormous difference between slaughtering a race of humans out of spite and slaughtering a chicken so that you can have Sunday dinner and everyone knows it -- yet we allow PETA to get away with it for some reason. Disingenuous [censored] like that puts me on instant life-tilt - I'd love to see those PETA holier-than-thou [censored] say that [censored] to a farmer's face.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, please disregard my post here and my question. Something is off. This really feels like bait. I don't have the time or energy to continue this vein of discussion. The T-Day pre-cooking has begun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM

The link provided by entertainme is actually a very interesting read. The head of PETA sounds insane. She calls human breeding, vanity (she sterilized herself at age 22). They don't care about the feelings of people (the example about using Heston's disease as a tool for propaganda).
It is good to fight for animal rights so they don't get tortured, but going to the extreme of bombing research facilities is definitely wrong.
I have grown with pets (or as PETA calls them, companion animals) all my life, I currently have 4 dogs and I love them very much, so I care for animals, but doing research on animals is important for medicine.
The president of PETA from her quotes and from her actions seems on the fringe of society.