Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Comment from my born again Christian Aunt

[ QUOTE ]
Recently my uncle had his best friend die suddenly in a car crash. Obviously this was very hard on him to cope with but he got through it. On the day after his friend died my aunt, his sister, was expressing her condolences when afterwords she states that it is too bad that he is gong to hell.

My uncle has been raised a christian is whole life and would never be best friends with anyone of questionable character.

Does a true christian accept what she says and not defend their deceased friend or do you become outraged at her remark?

[/ QUOTE ] In a similar situation, what my friend did was switch from being Lutheran to Catholic.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a similar situation, what my friend did was switch from being Lutheran to Catholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

rotflmmfao
Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In a similar situation, what my friend did was switch from being Lutheran to Catholic.
[ QUOTE ]
rotflmmfao

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you might roll on the floor and laugh your [censored] off. But my friend didn't wish to lose her faith when her daughter committed suicide and her life long Lutheren minister refused to preside at the final services on account of the deceased going to hell. Rather than give up Christianity , she decided to choose a less nutty version.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 AM

I always thought Catholics didn't accept suicide?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 AM

I just read something the other day about dealing with those who are grieving, and how people's awkwardness in these situations often leads them to say odd things. The thesis was that there are no right things to say in this situation, but that there are many wrong things to say. I think that this would qualify.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 AM

A lot of people seem to think that that she is a bitch for saying that. Although I'd be pissed if somebody said that in that situation, it seems to me (looking from the outside) that she was trying to be kind and give a sincere compliment. She truly felt bad for the stress the uncle would go through knowing somebody he cared about was being tormented for eternity. She probably thinks for sure that he is, and she herself might even feel upset about it, if she liked him as well--he just didn't believe the right things. Still, she really should have thought better about what to say.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM

I would definitely slap someone across the face if they said something like that to me.

Seriously how can your reaction to the idea that a human being of your acquaintance will be tortured for eternity be "boy, that's a shame"? It's so sociopathic I can't wrap my head around it at all.

Edit: btw this is in acccordance with a theory of mine that the majority of Christians don't actually believe the things they say they believe. They have their beliefs stashed away in a drawer in their brains marked "stuff I believe", but they don't believe it on an unconscious level, in the way they believe, say, that they will fall and hit the ground if they jump off the edge of a building. They think they believe it, but don't actually. If you could somehow do a controlled experiment, eg measuring galvanic skin potentials, I believe that you would see a much bigger response if you told a person that a friend of theirs still alive had been abducted and tortured than if you told them that a dead friend of theirs was in hell.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM

Obv the correct answer is 'Well atleast he'll have you to keep him company in a few years'. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you could somehow do a controlled experiment, eg measuring galvanic skin potentials, I believe that you would see a much bigger response if you told a person that a friend of theirs still alive had been abducted and tortured than if you told them that a dead friend of theirs was in hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certainly, but we'd have to control for a compound effect, "oh, no, not here Too !".

luckyme
Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 AM

I don't see that it should make any difference, since the torture in hell is infinite. And when I say see a bigger response, I would expect to see like 10 times the response at least.