Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Site says they can\'t return my funds cuz I\"m in the US, help plz!

Code Poker, taken over by The Palace Group, is refusing to return the funds that I have on deposit there saying they can not because I am in the US and they would be breaking the law to do so.

I have exchanged 3-4 emails with their customer service reps over the past few days and am getting the run around, stock replies that avoid answering my questions, etc.

Every other poker site that disallowed US players returned the funds I had on deposit there without issue but this site is refusing to do so.

They are giving me a 'sorry, our hands are tied' stock replies pretty much.

What can I do to get my money back? Any advice from the people in this forum would be greatly appreciated. I just dont understand why they can not cut me a check.

What can/should I do?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Poker site refusing to return US players money on deposit

1) The one part of the legal status of online poker that I can tell you for certain is that no US law is being broken by sending funds TO you.

2) For most small poker sites the amount of time you have invested in this is pretty small - it may well be that some idiot in support does not realize that while it may be difficult for the company to find a processer for the funds because of the UIGEA, the sending of funds itself does not violate the law - i.e. the support person you talked to might not understand the difference between delay for legal reasons, and never.

3) On the other hand, it wouldnt be the first time in history that a poker site has not returned funds because it either doesnt have the funds or has other problems. If that turns out to be the case, you have little recourse - try contacting whatever place "licenses" them, and use the web to post warnings for others.

Skallagrim
Old 08-24-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Site says they can\'t return my funds cuz I\"m in the US, help plz!

bk,

if the only thing preventing them from sending you money is the law then they should be more than willing to allow you to transfer to someone who is not in the US and allow them to withdraw for you. This assumes that you know of or could find someone with mutual trust between you but it would be a surefire way to see if they are on the level or if they are really just screwing you because they think they can
Old 08-24-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have exchanged 3-4 emails with their customer service reps over the past few days and am getting the run around, stock replies that avoid answering my questions, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to get them on the phone for something this serious
Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bk,

if the only thing preventing them from sending you money is the law then they should be more than willing to allow you to transfer to someone who is not in the US and allow them to withdraw for you. This assumes that you know of or could find someone with mutual trust between you but it would be a surefire way to see if they are on the level or if they are really just screwing you because they think they can

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I appreciate this. I am waiting to try to back them into a corner on this angle more before suggesting it to make it more difficult to modify their position saying they would be subverting the law because since I am a us player they are engaging in some subversion of the law by doing this.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) The one part of the legal status of online poker that I can tell you for certain is that no US law is being broken by sending funds TO you.

2) For most small poker sites the amount of time you have invested in this is pretty small - it may well be that some idiot in support does not realize that while it may be difficult for the company to find a processer for the funds because of the UIGEA, the sending of funds itself does not violate the law - i.e. the support person you talked to might not understand the difference between delay for legal reasons, and never.

3) On the other hand, it wouldnt be the first time in history that a poker site has not returned funds because it either doesnt have the funds or has other problems. If that turns out to be the case, you have little recourse - try contacting whatever place "licenses" them, and use the web to post warnings for others.

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks very much. I will communicate 1 and 2 to them when I get beyond the cust service rep. A cust service rep told me they were forwarding my email to 'operations' and that just seemed to generate a new tracking number in the customer service operations dept as the first cust service rep who responded started a new email thread at our last communication.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:21 AM

Next step would be the Better Business Bureau. You can file online but you have to file in the state the company operates in.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Next step would be the Better Business Bureau. You can file online but you have to file in the state the company operates in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure would be sweet if any site operated in any state in the U.S.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to get them on the phone for something this serious

[/ QUOTE ]

My concern is that I can not out talk someone with legal speak. Also, I want to get as much documented on email as I can. I have requested to be put in touch with someone of authority via email and they have yet to do so.

Who would I ask to speak with? If they give me some stock rap about 'the new law' and the way they interpret it (as in sorry we can't send you your money) what is my response?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who would I ask to speak with? If they give me some stock rap about 'the new law' and the way they interpret it (as in sorry we can't send you your money) what is my response?

[/ QUOTE ]

You will never convince any site that they are wrong on their interpretation of the laws. Their lawyers made a determination and you aren't going to change their minds. You best bet is someone receiving the money from outside the US and maybe you can even find someone on the boards who plays on Code to accept the money.

Good luck and I hope you have success getting your money back.