Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Let\'s talk about Bartending

I'm a twenty year old college student who wants to get in to bartending as a part time job.

I thought this might be a good place to mine for ideas about the art and science of bartending.

I would love to hear about the best ways to get into the business if one has no experience. Also, what kind of qualities/temperament is required to make a good bartender?

What kind of bartender is your favorite? What kinds of things do you love/hate when a bartender does? Are there any bartenders that post in EDF that could provide valuable tips or tricks?

What's the best way to handle a situation where you have to cut someone off, particularly if they are being belligerent, while still being professional, likable, etc. etc.?

How common are barfights and what should the bartender do in the event that a fight breaks out?

If you couldn't tell, I'm just interested in starting a discussion on bartending; I'm sure people have some cool stories/experiences to share that will be both entertaining and valuable.

Stak
Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Let\'s talk about Bartending

I bartended for a year or so in college. So I have a couple of thougts. Have you ever waited tables? Do you want to bartend at a bar or a restaurant?

I waited tables at a restaurant that turned into a college bar at night. I had waited tables for 6 months or so when a bartender got canned and they needed someone to take his spot. In a college town going straight from no experience in the restaurant world to tending bar is going to be real hard. Everyone wants to bartend.

So my advice is to get a job waiting tables first and then go from there. And read some books on how to make drinks. Ingredient knowledge is huge.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 PM

I bartend a little bit here in lexington, ky. I have not been doing it that long and usually just bartend on tuesday and thursday nights which are a little slower.

The best way to get into bartending is know someone. Bartenders make so much money on a Friday night and you do not need any kind of degree or anything to do it makes it hard to get the job.

Where I work on a Fri and Sat night bartenders make 400 dollars working from 9:30-2:30. Everyone wants to work those 2 shifts. So being friends with someone that works there or knowing the owner is a good way to get a job.

The best way to work your way up to bartending(maybe the only way) if you dont know anyone is becoming a bar back. You bring them beer when they are running out, wash cups, take out trash, etc when the bar is full.

You usually make good money bar backing(around 100$ cash) for working from 10-2:30. Some place you can make alot more I am only going from the experience where I work.

It's not easy though. It's a really hard job. When the bar is packed full of people it's a challenge to move through such a crowd quickly and still be able to do everything you need to do. Moving through a packed crowd with a ice bucket or 3 cases of beer is a bitch.

But by bar backing for a little bit you eventually work your way up to bartender I think that is how it works in most places. It sux though sometimes because once someone gets a good bartending job they dont want to give it up because of how much money it is.

If you are working in a slow bar the best qualities is to be able to [censored] with alot of people. Alot of older men will come in and drink a few beers and talk to you. Keeping a good conversation is important.

If you work in a packed club/bar speed is important. You want to pump out as many drinks as possible to make the most money possible.

If I have to cut someone off I just go up and say sorry man you've had too much to drink I cant serve you anymore. Usually they are cool with it. Girls are the ones that give me the most trouble. If someone needs to leave the bar I am super nice to everyone. Just say "man, I am going to have to ask you to leave, you didnt do anything wrong but you have just had a few too many to drink."

The bar I work at does not have too many fights. We try to have a decent dress code and it's a little older crowd(24+) so while not super old, not a bunch of dumb college kids.

Bartending is pretty fun overall.

Girls will give you the most trouble. Girls can be such bitches when they are drunk.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Yeah I didnt know any drinks when I started but just from bar backing and asking what was in a the drinks when ppl asked for it I learned a whole bunch of drinks.

You dont need to know tons of drinks where I work. Most people order the same stuff.
Rock Lobsters, Red headed [censored], soco and lime, love, couple more but not that many.

Most drinks are the same too. You will remember them because everyone orders the same stuff over and over again where you cant help but know all the drinks.

If someone orders a random shot I have never heard of I just ask them what's in it.

I have recently been making this for alot of girls. It's decent.
Surfer on acid
1/2 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur
1/2 oz Malibu® coconut rum
1/2 oz pineapple juice
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM

What happens to all the hot retarded chicks that bartend once they get old and ugly?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

As a professional drinker I can tell you what a customer such as myself looks for in a bartender.

1. Be quick. Nothing worse then a slow bartender who can't handle more then 1-2 customers at a time.

2. Get to know me. Nothing better then a bartender saying to me "The regular?" and having it served before I even get my coat off.

3. Be very personable and friendly. Be nice, tell funny stories (not jokes though!) but also know when/how to leave me alone if I'm just trying to have a few minutes by myself.

4. Don't tell me about your life, your sob stories, etc etc. That's your job to listen to mine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5. Respect your regular customers more then the newbies. ie...Don't take a new customers word over mine if an incident occurs. Regular customers almost always tell you the truth because they like you, they like the bar, that's why they're "regulars".

All I can thing of for now, will think of more later.

T
Old 10-11-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens to all the hot retarded chicks that bartend once they get old and ugly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also wondering this.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also wondering this.

[/ QUOTE ]
there are three options:
1. housewife
2. pr0n
3. working in robot factories
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM

i'm getting a job as a cook at a bar just so i can say i have experience at a bar when i look to get a bartending job. (moving downtown detroit in the near future, bartending is about the only job i'd want to have down there)
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM

and from people i've talked to, prepare to have a bunch of crappy shifts at the start if you do indeed get a bartending gig.