Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

I would hate to have to rewatch this to dig out more. That's the impression I was left with though and when I thought of why, those are the examples I remembered.

Perhaps it was also the fact that he was so ready to express his negativity when the situations arose. It's obvious he wants to sleep with Celine and perfectly natural. When she was so charmed with the poetry, his immediate attempt to discredit it for her bodes poorly for his chances.

Maybe it goes more towards showing a conflict in his character, or his inexperience or something, but given it happened more than once, I read it the way I read it.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps it was also the fact that he was so ready to express his negativity when the situations arose. It's obvious he wants to sleep with Celine and perfectly natural. When she was so charmed with the poetry, his immediate attempt to discredit it for her bodes poorly for his chances.

Maybe it goes more towards showing a conflict in his character, or his inexperience or something, but given it happened more than once, I read it the way I read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or perhaps it was just meant to be residue from him just recently breaking up with his g/f that makes him more openly cynical. It's not suprising that it happened more than once since it's only over one night and he's still in a grieving process.

b
Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 PM

I can't think of another movie that makes me grin more than this one...I love it to death. Whenever someone has the balls to make a movie about two people talking it always amazes me when it actually works. My Dinner With Andre and now Before Sunrise shows just what magic exists through simple, yet profound conversation.

It's hard to separate this from its sequel, Before Sunset, and I tend to gravitate towards the latter for the simple reason I can better relate to the wistful, somewhat jaded yet still hopeful realism that the two leads bring to the story as opposed to the sheer romanticism of youth that the first one so expertly captures. They're both little miracles of film making and are my two favorite romance movies ever.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM

I liked Lost in Translation a lot more than this. I think Coppola did a much better job of relating to me the magic, wonder and beauty of those infrequent moments when we connect with another peson.

Before Sunrise seemed like an honest attempt at aspiring to something, whereas Lost in Translation actually succeeded. The connection made between the characters in Sunrise was much more trivial than the connection achieved in Translation. Sunrise seemed more about a physical need for company in life, Translation about a spirtual need.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked Lost in Translation a lot more than this. I think Coppola did a much better job of relating to me the magic, wonder and beauty of those infrequent moments when we connect with another peson.

Before Sunrise seemed like an honest attempt at aspiring to something, whereas Lost in Translation actually succeeded. The connection made between the characters in Sunrise was much more trivial than the connection achieved in Translation. Sunrise seemed more about a physical need for company in life, Translation about a spirtual need.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll disagree totally here. I think Translation ultimately failed in showing any kind of connection between the two main characters.

As Dom implied, once you've seen the sequel, Before Sunset, it's nearly impossible to separate the two movies.

I originally thought that Before Sunrise failed to show the connection also. But one viewing of Before Sunset will turn that belief around. I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say the following in white: <font color="white">The second movie shows the profound effect their 16 hour encounter had on each other and makes the movie, when considered together with its sequel, work a lot better. </font>

For me, I guess that's why Before Sunrise succeeds--because I view it as just the first half of a really long movie.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I originally thought that Before Sunrise failed to show the connection also. But one viewing of Before Sunset will turn that belief around.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get the connection in Lost in Translation when the sequel comes out in 7 years. Meanwhile just trust me on this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Just want to say that I have the movie in my possession and have not yet read the thread...I'll be here within the next two days.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I originally thought that Before Sunrise failed to show the connection also. But one viewing of Before Sunset will turn that belief around.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get the connection in Lost in Translation when the sequel comes out in 7 years. Meanwhile just trust me on this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I deserved that. My thoughts in brief: LiT was maybe a 4 or 5 on the IMDb scale. Before Sunrise, as a standalone movie, was maybe a 5.5 or 6. It was OK, but it could have been a lot more. The sequel was a very good movie, maybe an 8. So when you view Before Sunrise as being part 1 or 2, it becomes part of a successful movie that is about a 7.5 or so.

This isn't a LiT thread, but I didn't see any connection at all between the stars. It also could have been because I though Scarlett's character was incredibly boring. Delpy's character was great and I could easily see why Hawke's character would fall for her. They just seemed to click.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll disagree totally here. I think Translation ultimately failed in showing any kind of connection between the two main characters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it showed the connection.

I liked LiT, however, one scene really irked me. Where he cheats on his wife. It's so effing cliche to have that in there and this flick really didn't need it. But it seems they always have to have the guy be the dog in some way.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

b
Old 05-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are my favorite romantic movies by far and they made me look into the other Linklater movies. I think he is a very talented filmmaker.

I recently watched Cleo from 5 to 7, a French movie that follows Cleo, a french singer, for two hours of her life. The last 15 minutes are she and a random guy from a park talking about different things in life. I know Linklater wasn't inspired by this (at least imdb doesn't mention this as inspiration), but that moment reminded me a lot of Before Sunrise. My favorite part of Cleo were those wonderful 15 minutes, and Before Sunrise managed to extend those 15 minutes into 100 minutes.

Before Sunrise also brings great memories of a trip I once made, so I have this movie in a special part of my heart.