Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Killer new rig w/ 30\" Gateway...need 2 more 20\" monitors. Suggesti

[ QUOTE ]

Switching in and out of SLI is very easy. I do it pretty much every day. You can do it through software now without touching the bios.

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually yes, but it does depend on the board. 90% at a guess are switched in BIOS now, there still exist those with a physical switch.

[ QUOTE ]

And I believe you need two identical video cards to take advantage of SLI. Also, you will need top of the line cards to run an FPS at 2560x1600.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

A single 8800GTX doesn't fare too bad at that res. - but obv. a pair is much better. Thus my comments on "if it is serious" or whatever I said [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: I said BIOS - I know they switch in software, but need reboot - to me, that is a BIOS switch.

If some can switch SLI On/Off without reboot - please let me know model names - will be stocking up on these beauties [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Killer new rig w/ 30\" Gateway...need 2 more 20\" monitors. Suggesti

[ QUOTE ]
HonestRyan, I'd seriously consider getting an 8800GTX to drive your 30" monitor and then, seriously, any ole thing for a 2nd video card that has DUAL-DVI. Since you'll be doing the same as me, the 2nd card doesn't need to be much of anything...something cheap that has dual-dvi is all you need to run both the smaller monitors. You can't run SLI using 3 monitors, so don't bother "wasting" the money on the 2nd video card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a trmemdous help for me, thank you. and this will be exactly what i do. a 8800GTX for the 30 and a cheap dual DVI for the 20s. I think i will also be doing some ebay shopping for some of the old dell 20s as well. As you know there isnt much info for a setting up a system like this.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HonestRyan, I'd seriously consider getting an 8800GTX to drive your 30" monitor and then, seriously, any ole thing for a 2nd video card that has DUAL-DVI. Since you'll be doing the same as me, the 2nd card doesn't need to be much of anything...something cheap that has dual-dvi is all you need to run both the smaller monitors. You can't run SLI using 3 monitors, so don't bother "wasting" the money on the 2nd video card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a trmemdous help for me, thank you. and this will be exactly what i do. a 8800GTX for the 30 and a cheap dual DVI for the 20s. I think i will also be doing some ebay shopping for some of the old dell 20s as well. As you know there isnt much info for a setting up a system like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem bro. Anandtech has always been a big help for me since I started building my own rigs 2, almost 3 years ago.

Also, fwiw, I'm STUPID anal about researching before I buy ANYTHING of value(took 2 weeks to buy my vacuum cleaner...had to do my homework on them first), so if you want/need input on your parts/monitors etc, lemme know.

FWIW, the 30" Gateway is just sick good. Just came out this month. I was going the HP (HDCP complient vs the Dell which is not, plus more inputs), until that bad boy came out. XHD3000.

Here is a link for some stuff on it at anandtech:

Linky

Good luck and lemme know!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 AM

what an awesome monitor but $1700!!! I am gonna go with the 30' HP monitor, it got the best reviews of the current 30' monitor line. (excluding the new HP). and it only cost 1172 after rebate, 1272 before rebate here I just bought my 2 Dell 2001FP refurbs from Recoup It they were only $189 a piece! beats shopping on ebay and dealing w/ sellers etc.. Now its time to order the computer system from newegg.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 AM

Nice. Glad to have helped bro and I'm waiting to read more reviews about the Gateway...that thing is just sick good.

Keep me in the loop and lemme know what all you get in/for your rig. We'll have to post pics as well and turn most the forum green w/ envy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM

Bump w/ it complete.

I am in the process of testing the XHD3000 Gateway 30" monitor now. Installing F.E.A.R and also bringing over my 360 to hook it up to test out the scaling features on it.

I'll also post some shots of pokering!

If you guys have any ???'s, feel free fellas. That's my $4,000 rig (rig and monitors) that I built myself, so I can try to help answer any questions you guys might have on building a new rig and/or monitor ???'s.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 AM

Awesome rig Felix [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Please be posting *detailed* trip report once you have tried all manner of SD / HD hardware on all the inputs on that Gateway. Very interested to find out how that scaler chip performs IRL.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 AM

$4000 rig. $20 desk. Wallpaper from 1980s.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$4000 rig. $20 desk. Wallpaper from 1980s.

[/ QUOTE ]

And zero rent/utilities. And moving to Vegas in a couple of months and the desk is not making the trip.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 AM

Sorry. I was just busting your balls a bit. I have nothing but love for SFC.