Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM

Default NL10 Is this TAGish or DONKish??

I have been running like H@ll for the past month. On a fairly severe downswing after having a solid 3-4 months of growing my BR from $80 to $500. So far I have been contributing my downswing to a bad run but who knows so I thought I would post this hand to get some feedback.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($9.05)
Hero ($10.95)
UTG ($9.60)
MP ($5.90)
CO ($8.30)
Button ($16.75)

Like I said on a bad run so I thought I would call OOP to see what the flop brings. Probably should have reraised?

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.40, MP folds.

I have been trying to be more aggro after the flop so I thought I could take this pot with a shove and if I got called still had outs?

Flop: ($1.10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10.45</font>, SB calls $7.85 (All-In).

Turn: ($20.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($20.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $20.10
Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: NL10 Is this TAGish or DONKish??

You definitely flopped a monster here, I'm felting this too. But, you don't have to shove the flop yet. Raise his flop bet and if he shoves, call.

EDIT: Also, probably 3 bet this pf too.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM

you're not really oop preflop, since mp is almost always going to dump his hand to a 3bet there. reraising is better there in either case, though. AK is blam, and the last thing you want to do is price in mp to hang around with a pp there.

as played, i'd usually just raise to like 2.8 or something.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 PM

re-raise preflop. raise flop to 3.5, call a push or push turn yourself.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:11 PM

I wish I could run like h@llingol.

I raise preflop again, and on this flop Im fine with getting it in. Your raise is a huge overbet, but given that your equity is good with the nfd and 2 overs, I think its okay. I would prefer a smaller raise, but I dont think it makes a big difference EV wise.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could run like h@llingol.

I raise preflop again, and on this flop Im fine with getting it in. Your raise is a huge overbet, but given that your equity is good with the nfd and 2 overs, I think its okay. I would prefer a smaller raise, but I dont think it makes a big difference EV wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your advice. Trying to calm myself down when I flop good hands is one of my leaks. I am always seeing monsters and want to end the hand ASAP.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:04 PM

While I don't mind that preflop flat call much, I hate your reasoning for it. Don't do it because you are scared. Do it because you think it's not profitable oop or whatever reason seems applicable in the situation.
Your flop play looks kind of meh, and you increase the chance that you are up against a set when you are actually called greatly. And since you asked for it: buying pots with shoves is a really donkish play. Really. There is nothing worse than the people that think they just need to shove and then everyone will fold. This works always but once and then you lose a huge pot. As I said, you narrow villains range a lot here. Only spend that much money on a bluff that is needed to get the job done. It's ok to try to get it all-in there but not this way. Just raise it up and see what he does.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't mind that preflop flat call much, I hate your reasoning for it. Don't do it because you are scared. Do it because you think it's not profitable oop or whatever reason seems applicable in the situation.
Your flop play looks kind of meh, and you increase the chance that you are up against a set when you are actually called greatly. And since you asked for it: buying pots with shoves is a really donkish play. Really. There is nothing worse than the people that think they just need to shove and then everyone will fold. This works always but once and then you lose a huge pot. As I said, you narrow villains range a lot here. Only spend that much money on a bluff that is needed to get the job done. It's ok to try to get it all-in there but not this way. Just raise it up and see what he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir! you are 100% correct.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM

Personally, I would 3-bet preflop , but

The flop play is something I just don't understand? I think I need to have the flop push added to my own game, but am not sure how to evaluate when the best time to do it is.

How is pushing here +EV ?

Would you count your overcards as 6 outs? Because I can't see too many people calling this with a pair or less.

Is it because since the opponent raised preflop, this is probably a c-bet and the chances of him being able to call is slim and if he does you have outs to a flush ?

So maybe you have some fold equity and you have around a 36% chance of hitting a flush assuming the opponent doesn't have a set, but you're risking $8 to win $2 .

I would really appreciate understanding why this is a good push.

Martin