Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Lets debunk some urban legends

The reason they make you turn your phone off is because airplane companies wanted you to make calls from the phones they installed in headrests that they spent billions on. Since that system failed and cost them tons of money they're going to start allowing cell phone use but find a way to charge for it while on the plane.

Any person that believes that any electronic device causes any sort of interferance with the planes electronics is lacking some brain power. Before a plane is deemed flyable one of the tests it has to go through is getting bombared by every type of signal that may cause interferance to make sure its electronic system holds up.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keeping your cellphone in your front pocket causes sterility in men.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of a half-truth that has been exaggerated extremely. Radiation is not healthy, and may in some cases lead to sterilisation.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am not, I actually know what I am talking about here since I have been asked about these questions in lots of meetings and discussed it with a lot of different experts to be able to give qualified answers. But it is a half-truth extremely exaggerated since we are subject to radiation constantly and a mobile phone in your front pocket sending a signal to the mast once in a while isn't a considerable addition. Chance of cancer with it in your pocket still > chance of cancer without it in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although we are constantly exploring the subject, currently there is no direct evidence linking cell phone use to brain cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, what a great movie.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are mistaken for being powerful ones, the same reason i.e. that you are told to turn it off on the plane although it is very unlikely it will interfere with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the deal with this? Why do they tell you to turn it off? Clearly its not a big deal since theres no enforcement. You can't even bring 4 oz of liquid on a plane so if there were even a minuscule chance of a cell phone interfering with anything on the plane I'm sure they'd make you check it.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the equipment on board a plane has to handle the interference from a mobile phone built following the standards. I don't know the exact origin 1st hand but the talk within the business is that some airlines didn't trust the manufacturers of mobile phones and suspected that some could produce mobile phones not following the standard. Thus, they decided to ban all mobile phones (this may also be an urban legend though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Today, I think the main reason is to make people feel safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it an FAA regulation that cell phones can't be used in the air?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are mistaken for being powerful ones, the same reason i.e. that you are told to turn it off on the plane although it is very unlikely it will interfere with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the deal with this? Why do they tell you to turn it off? Clearly its not a big deal since theres no enforcement. You can't even bring 4 oz of liquid on a plane so if there were even a minuscule chance of a cell phone interfering with anything on the plane I'm sure they'd make you check it.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the equipment on board a plane has to handle the interference from a mobile phone built following the standards. I don't know the exact origin 1st hand but the talk within the business is that some airlines didn't trust the manufacturers of mobile phones and suspected that some could produce mobile phones not following the standard. Thus, they decided to ban all mobile phones (this may also be an urban legend though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Today, I think the main reason is to make people feel safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"when i was in fiji i breathed through this thing where you could breathe through water [not possible]. I'm sorry, have you been to fiji? didnt think so."

A snorkel?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sorry that was unclear, he meant some sort of snorkel styled apparatus that lets you breath while completely supmerged (including the 'snorkel')

[/ QUOTE ]

A reality soon...
Old 04-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Lift is caused by both shape of the wing and the angle of attack. The angle can greatly increase lift but is not what causes the lift in general.

This is really a conservation of momentum problem. If we draw an imaginary cylinder around the wing itself we can imagine an inlet and exit. Obv the mass flow rate of air at the inlet must equal the mass flow rate of air at the exit (conservation of mass).

Now the disturbance or wing profile is designed such that the air traveling across the top of the wing must travel a greater distance. In order to maintain conservation of mass the velocity of the air on top of the wing must increase. This increase in velocity translates into an acceleration over the wing. To alleviate this unbalance the wing is pushed up hence lift.

This can be achieved by tilting the wing upwards, but to get optimal flight at constant speed a shaped wing is preferred.

This same concept can be described using pressures. The increase in speed translates to a decrease in pressure. Natural forces always want to alleviate imbalance and so there is a force pointing up from high to low pressure.

-Undergrad Mechanical Engineering

edited for spelling an accuracy
Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Article why cell phones are banned
Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 PM

When Patrik Antonius releases his seed, he impregnates all women within a 3 mile radius.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
two that I've heard a lot, especially from military people, are that Mr. Rogers was a legendary marine sniper and Don Knotts was a legendary marine drill instructor.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, isn't that the point?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:35 PM

fcc regulation not an faa one. cell towers can tell where your phone is and can bill you from a low place like the ground. when in the air they are hit with multiple pings from your phone at many towers. it costs them air usage so they dont want it. they got the fcc to ban phones in all planes even private ones.

as for the airlines when flying in instrument contdions they dont want to take a chance on their navigation equipement getting corrupted in any way even if its a small chance. most likely some other device would do it rather than a cell phone.