Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 PM

Default What to do with JJ in .05/.10 nl?

BTN is very solid TAG. He played QQ very well when another player flopped a set of aces and he checked behind twice before folding to a river bet.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $12.70
UTG: $10
CO: $13.80
BTN: $9.30
SB: $12.70

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.35</font>, SB calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.50</font>, BTN calls $0.50, SB folds

Turn: ($2.05) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.60</font>, BTN calls $0.60

River: ($3.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $7.85 and is All-In</font>, Hero folds

Results: $3.25 Pot ($0.30 Rake)
BTN mucked and WON $2.95 (+$1.50 NET)

I put him on AK pretty much the whole way. He would have re-raised a higher pocket pair on the flop. Don't know why I bet the turn when the ace hit. I kind of just wanted to see where I was at. The fact that he didn't raise the turn makes me wonder if my AK read is wrong. What to do on the river? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: What to do with JJ in .05/.10 nl?

3betting PF will make the hand easier to play as it defines villains range a little bit.

That's a really good flop for JJ, make your cbet a little larger, more like 3/4 pot.

If he's still around by the turn then I think it's a bet/fold for about 2/3 pot.

If, after all that he's still around, then it's probably an overpair or ace and c/f is probably ok unless he bets very small.

As played, I would make another small blocker on the river and fold to a raise.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM

reraise preflop to about $1.50, then bet 2/3 of the pot on the flop.

I'd say this player isn't a solid tag with the line he has taken in this hand.

With big pairs you need to be reraising preflop when there is a button raise and a cold call out of the sb.

I wouldn't lead into him on the flop this usually looks kinda weak to TAG's.

I would check raise this flop or check call and see his line on the turn. If he checked the river twice the hand with a set of aces then he may well check the turn here for pot control and you can see a cheap showdown.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM

I 3-bet pf to get info! You should do that too! Your check on river makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. that's worst play ever. if You want pot control - do it on turn. if You want to fold to a blank river why do You bet turn? valuebet river and consider folding to a raise.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet pf to get info! You should do that too! Your check on river makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. that's worst play ever. if You want pot control - do it on turn. if You want to fold to a blank river why do You bet turn? valuebet river and consider folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I disagree with pretty much everything here. Yes we should 3-bet to $1.5, but not for info. For value. We have a huge hand, we should bet it. I love the c/f on the river, we can't call an overbet shove like that. There are worse hands he'll call a bet with on the turn (you should increase your bet to about $1.10 or $1.20), but he's gonna check them behind on the river. When he bets, he's either got king high, or a bigger hand than JJ. It costs too much for us to find out if we're ahead on the river so I like your fold. Also, I don't like bet/fold on the river, because he's gonna check behind most of his hands.

Now that I think about it, you led the flop after flatting preflop. I'd rather c/r than lead here.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Good stuff. Thanks guys!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I disagree with pretty much everything here. Yes we should 3-bet to $1.5, but not for info. For value. We have a huge hand, we should bet it. I love the c/f on the river, we can't call an overbet shove like that. There are worse hands he'll call a bet with on the turn (you should increase your bet to about $1.10 or $1.20), but he's gonna check them behind on the river. When he bets, he's either got king high, or a bigger hand than JJ. It costs too much for us to find out if we're ahead on the river so I like your fold. Also, I don't like bet/fold on the river, because he's gonna check behind most of his hands.

Now that I think about it, you led the flop after flatting preflop. I'd rather c/r than lead here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just about exactly what I think about this hand. Very well said.