Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Middle Pair Turn Spot ($100 NL)

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com

I have not seen villain get out of hand, I've folded a few hands after cbetting lately.

Stacks:
UTG (<font color="#0000cc">$35.80</font>)
Hero (<font color="#0000cc">$116.85</font>)
CO (<font color="#0000cc">$101.85</font>)
BTN (<font color="#0000cc">$139.50</font>)
SB (<font color="#0000cc">$93.70</font>)
BB (<font color="#0000cc">$100.00</font>)

Pre-flop: ($1.5, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1 J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#777777">1 fold</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#777777">2 folds</font>, SB calls $3, <font color="#777777">1 fold</font>

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $6</font>, Hero?

How often do you guys call here and how often do you guys raise here after checking this flop?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Middle Pair Turn Spot ($100 NL)

I call here very fast, because I am in position, and will usually be ahead.

Why not bet that flop?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 AM

Bet flop most of the time, theres some value to be had from underpairs etc. Turn is a pretty easy call given your flop check. Raising the turn would be horrendous.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Why is raising the turn horrendous? I would think your can raise for protection vs a good part of his range (diamonds, straight draws) and you could even raise out of a few better 9's.

For those of you that call, are you calling a scare river card such as an overcard, straight card, or a diamond?
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is raising the turn horrendous? I would think your can raise for protection vs a good part of his range (diamonds, straight draws) and you could even raise out of a few better 9's.

For those of you that call, are you calling a scare river card such as an overcard, straight card, or a diamond?

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) Big pots for big hands. You don't have a big hand. Sometimes you just have to let Villain draw.

2.) Read-dependent.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 AM

Raising is horrendous because you lose the vast majority of the hands that you're beating and get called by the vast majority of the hands that have you whamboozled
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1.) Big pots for big hands. You don't have a big hand. Sometimes you just have to let Villain draw.

2.) Read-dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising the turn is hardly building a big pot and u can easily fold if he 3bets. I like taking this line against simple players since I get value from draws and get a cheap showdown, it makes the hand a lot easier to play rather than playing the guessing game if he leads a bricked river.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising is horrendous because you lose the vast majority of the hands that you're beating and get called by the vast majority of the hands that have you whamboozled

[/ QUOTE ]

what vast majority of hands is this that is putting anymore money in the pot? If u wanna take this line to snap off a bluff - sure - i just dont like playing the guessing game here and rather put in a raise here that gets called by all his draws, folds out some better nines and gets a cheap showdown against a king. If he 3bets im done.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what vast majority of hands is this that is putting anymore money in the pot? If u wanna take this line to snap off a bluff - sure - i just dont like playing the guessing game here and rather put in a raise here that gets called by all his draws, folds out some better nines and gets a cheap showdown against a king. If he 3bets im done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think a draw is calling? Unless you price him in?

Meanwhile, poker is a game of imperfect information, if you don't like intelligent "guessing" you may want to find another way to spend your time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 AM

Raising the turn turns your pair into a bluff imo.