Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Call or Fold on the river here?

I think I played this fine, but I’d like to know if I could have taken another line.

I have a strong, aggressive image after winning several decent pots uncontested. Though it’s been early in the session, I’ve been in 50% of the hands, firing at will and nearly doubling my stack. UTG has been quiet, so no read on his play.

Online, $0.15/$0.30 NL Hold’em Cash Game, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $50.20
BB: $13.85
UTG: $5.45
MP: $63.05
CO: $108.50
BTN: $59.70

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG calls $0.30, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.15, BB checks

Flop: ($0.90) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero bets $0.60, BB calls $0.60, UTG folds

Turn: ($2.10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero bets $1.30, BB calls $1.30

River: ($4.70) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero bets $2, BB raises to $4

Now what? Obviously it's cheap to call, but it looks like I'm beat. I really thought it was a chop though. What does BB have, given the passive nature of his play until the river?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Call or Fold on the river here?

I fold this preflop. We are too deep to be messing around with A7. The hand you are hoping to make with A7 is 2pair, and I don't think it's worth it here.

We are out of position, with a really bad hand.

As played, I just check/call this river. We aren't beating anything, and splitting with every ace, since he woulda raised AK or AQ probably on flop or preflop. If you "thought it was a chop", why would you bet into this guy, OOP?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Funny you say fold PF. I always get flack from players when I fold junk like J2, K4, T5 in the SB. They always say, "It's just another half-bet more and there's 3 players in the pot already. Just pay to see the flop."

I called here because it's a 6-max game and only UTG called. Seemed like A-high could be in the lead here a good portion of the time.

I bet into the river because I didn't want to get in a situation where I check (thinking it's a chop) and my opp over bets the pot or pushes AI as one of those nothing-to-lose bets, trying to get me to fold. That would be a really tough call even if I really thought it was a chop.

Let's see what other people say before I post the conclusion of the hand...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:33 PM

Standard fold pre-flop for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM

I think calling with this hand before the flop is not a good choice. I would rather see you raise than call here. I think folding is the best choice, however.

I like the flop bet. I don't like the turn bet though. What is he calling with on the flop? I'd hafta guess either a 9, which now gives him a set, or an Ace that may have you beat. I'd rather check the turn and go from there. If he checks behind on the turn I'd check-call on the river.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 PM

Fold pre flop, to often will you win a small pot or loose a big one, but since you called I would C/C the river. Unless its a big bet on the river. He called the turn, what could he have on the river, there are no draws, so at best its a chop.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 PM

Fold pre.

C/c flop.

turn depends on flop.

river easy fold.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM

OK, thanks all for the advice. I won't feel so bad now when I don't complete the SB in an unraised pot without a decent hand. I called his raise and he showed down AKo. Could anyone have predicted this hand? I so rarely see someone play AK so passively...