Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Default 5/10 44 Value bet? Bluff? Does it matter?

This hand interested me because it seemed I may have been value betting / protecting against one opponent, and possibly bluffing against another.

5/10 6 max on Titan.

BB: $1700
UTG+1: $1600
Mojo: $2600

BB is a thinking TAG, maybe a little too tight at 20/12 through 450 hands. I have no specific memory of him squeezing, but I believe he's capable of it. If it's not a squeeze, his pre-flop re-raise is AA-JJ or AK.

CO is a bad 55/13 through 1000 hands, plays LAG when he can take the initiative, but often turns passive when his opponents get aggressive. He will stack off with a high pair or overpair, but he would bet this flop with any pair at least 90% of the time.

My image is slightly LAG. Titan players tend to be weak pre-flop, so at 18%PFR and 3-betting far more than most, I probably come off as a maniac to some. I very rarely limp or coldcall.

Preflop: Mojo has 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button

UTG raises $40, CO calls, Mojo calls, SB folds, BB raises $190, UTG folds, CO calls, Mojo calls.

Flop (Pot: $615) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)

BB checks, CO checks, Mojo bets $400

The preflop calls: I would often re-raise here if UTG, an aggressive PF raiser, was the only one in the pot, but CO will definitely call my re-raise so I decide to play for set value. When the re-raise comes around, again I would often fold here, but the depth of the stacks, and particularly CO's presence, makes me think I often have the implied odds if I hit my set.

On the flop, I may very well have the best hand. I am 75% sure I'm better than CO right now, because he would generally bet out. I expect CO to fold if he has nothing, call with a Q, and fold anything else. He will not bet out again, or will bet very small, unless he improves. He'll raise two pair or better, but won't bluff raise a bet this big.

With the coordinated board I doubt a slowplay from BB, but he is capable of checking AA or KK here and assessing the flop action. When I played it, it seemed to me that my pre-flop play would be fairly obvious to a thinking player. I looked like a pair playing for set value, so I threw out a flop bet representing that set.

Comments on both streets appreciated.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: 5/10 44 Value bet? Bluff? Does it matter?

Reviving this one because I'm trying to get back into posting hands. Don't let me get discouraged, especially when I have to do the history by hand to make it pretty for you. Is this just too obvious? Too spewy? Tl;dr?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 AM

Default Re: 5/10 44 Value bet? Bluff? Does it matter?

pf is fine, but transparent. flop is closer, if you bet here, i think you have to be willing to 2 barrel.