Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Raise or fold situaion??

Lets overlook the preflop play for a moment and just focus on what to do on the flop. Its a LAG 10/20 live limit game. UTG limps, the next position raises, I C/C with Q7h, both blinds call, and the limper calls. The flop is J 7 3 with one heart. The limper checks, original raiser bets, and I??
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Raise or fold situaion??

raise...
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 AM

also are my calculated outs correct.... 1.5 for my backdoor flush, 3 for a queeen, and 2 for a queen(i was gonna make it 1.5 to adjust for QJ but decided against it)
Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 AM

sounds about right. you might even have the best hand.

it's amazing how many players even at mid-limits fail to realize this...
Old 08-25-2007, 09:16 AM

lets say for a second that i dont have the best hand, that would make me on a draw, wouldnt i wanna just call and invite other players in the pot to get more money in there?? i guess the argument is bye raising, then betting the turn i can take the pot with no showdown
Old 08-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Taking an uncontested pot is always my preference, especially if I can "steal" a raised pot. A ragged J73 flop gets a c-bet most of the time by the pre-flop raiser, especially when short-handed. Even if you only have a strong draw, you're not going to "build" much of a pot by just calling. Raise now and you have your draw to fall back on if you get called or re-raised.

An exception to raising on a draw, imo, is when you're certain a flop raise won't get others to fold - especially if your draw isn't very strong and you're not in position to take a free river card.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:11 PM

We can overlook the preflop. Maybe its a friend of yours, or something.

I don't think its a raise or fold situation. More like a raise or call situation, with raise being preferable.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lets say for a second that i dont have the best hand, that would make me on a draw, wouldnt i wanna just call and invite other players in the pot to get more money in there?? i guess the argument is bye raising, then betting the turn i can take the pot with no showdown

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even just with no showdown. Like let's say you raise and everyone but PFR folds, then you bet the turn, river goes check/check and you beat AK. This is going to happen a decent % of the time.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Definitely raise the flop. But "overlooking" the preflop aspect of hands like this will send you to the poorhouse.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets overlook the preflop play for a moment and just focus on what to do on the flop. Its a LAG 10/20 live limit game. UTG limps, the next position raises, I C/C with Q7h, both blinds call, and the limper calls. The flop is J 7 3 with one heart. The limper checks, original raiser bets, and I??

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard for me to ascertain if this post is here to ask a legit question, or is it "to test the audience." The reason I am saying this is because the hand is virtually identical to the SSHE hand on page 96 where the discussion of postflop play begins. To wit:

"...while it is relatively easy to judge good preflop play from bad, it is much harder to so for postflop play. Look at this hand from the perspective of a poor player: One player limps, and the next one raises. Our hero is next to act with Qh7h and calls. Everyone folds to the blinds, who both call. The limper calls. (10 small bets). The flop is

Jc7s5h

giving him middle pair and a backdoor flush draw. It is checked to the preflop raiser who bets. Our hero calls.

Our hapless hero has made two plays so far, and has gotten them both wrong. Most people instantly identify his preflop play as an eroor: It is clearly incorrect to cold-call the raise with queen-seven. But a much smaller percentage of poker players could identify his error on the flop. Yet, of his two mistakes, his flop play is worse by far! Raising is the correct play; calling and folding are both major mistakes!"

Given the similarities in OP's hand and the one in SSHE (only the flopped 5 in SSHE was changed), this post seems a bit disingenuous if, in fact, OP is looking for answers to the proper play of "his hand." If, however, he was "testing" the 2+2ers here, I give the responders to his post an A+.

And a word of caution to OP, you'll marginalize yourself very quickly with this crowd by plagerizing other folks material.