Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Issues at 25c/50c up to 1/2 Stud Hi

After playing about 5K hands of StudHi at these levels a couple of things that I have noticed that I have questions/issues about....
Keep in mind i have come from the 2 card game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1) It seems that the variance swings in this game are pretty harsh, much more than HE at least on the surface. Granted i have been a losing player over these 5K hands but sessions (around 200 hands) have been around the 15-25BB loosing side or the 5-10BB winning side. I know i have been taking hands too far from the HHs, but is this game have more variance in general?
(Im thinking because we have to pay for EVERY card as it comes out it would seem on the surface that you will tend to loose more than you win on certain types of hands that you are drawing with or are not sure if they are good or not).

2) Im really starting to think that Im putting way too much value in 2 pair/1 pair hands. Split broadway pair, while it may be good on 3rd street loose a ton of value as the streets continue if they are not improved. Almost to the point that if you have 2 pair and there are callers, you should consider your hand beat w/o improvement.

3) How important is it to have a read on the player? In Limit HE for example, A read is less important than it is in NLHE.(At least at the 2/4 and 3/6 levels that I play at and the 50NL games). Solid card sense and the knowledge of the value of hands based on the board prevail at these levels. Should I pay more attention on the doorcards rather than if this player is trying to get sneaky on me?

I really like this game and really want to continue, but Im starting to abandon ship and go back to the game everyone knows....

Thx in advance for your help.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Issues at 25c/50c up to 1/2 Stud Hi

get the life jacket
Old 01-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Coupla questions...

How many books have you read on 7 card stud?

Do you have any experience playing stud? and I don't mean with Grandma at the kitchen table for pennies!!!!

What percentage of hands are you playing past 3rd street?

You are correct that stud is a high variance game but if you can master it, then it will be profitable for you in the long term. Keep in mind that holdem & stud are two different games from a nuances persective. What works in one is not necessarily the best play in the other. Just keep reading up on the game, keep asking questions, & most importantly...keep playing. Tight & aggressive is the key.

If you can't beat a nickel, dime, quarter game online..then you're in trouble at higher stakes.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coupla questions...
How many books have you read on 7 card stud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Roy West's book and was told on here that its crap. I have reread the 3rd street sections on Slansky a couple of times.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have any experience playing stud? and I don't mean with Grandma at the kitchen table for pennies!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, only online at 25c/50c and 1/2. With alot of experience at poker im not playing less than that.

[ QUOTE ]

What percentage of hands are you playing past 3rd street?

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2700 hands

VP 24.8
W$WS4 26
W$WS5 34
W$WS6 44
W$WSR 53
W$SD 57

WTSD 18.5 3rd street raise 6.6

[ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that holdem & stud are two different games from a nuances persective. What works in one is not necessarily the best play in the other. Just keep reading up on the game, keep asking questions, & most importantly...keep playing. Tight & aggressive is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im trying not to treat them as the same thing, but on 4th and 5th im finding it difficult on when to continue if I either:

1)Received a little improvement to a weak 2 pair or a 4 card FD and or SD.

2)I really haven't improved but noone else has except maybe someone paired a low doorcard, which if i have a big, live pair I still have a chance (Not sure if that's correct or not).
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

for 2700 hands

VP 24.8
W$WS4 26
W$WS5 34
W$WS6 44
W$WSR 53
W$SD 57

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to translate that for me???
Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 PM

"Air Bradley" to the rescue. What a joke!

Bear it means, at the very least your hand reading skills are very bad. You see and understand your hand, but not the board. These stats are losers at FTP, which is where you play I think. Try Stars but I think holdem is a better choice. And remember to buckle up. Good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

for 2700 hands

VP 24.8
W$WS4 26
W$WS5 34
W$WS6 44
W$WSR 53
W$SD 57

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to translate that for me???

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, used to the HE guys that are stat crazy...

All from PT...

VP is money put in voluntarily, so i guess that's BI as well as Limp along.

W$WS3 = Won Money when seen 3rd

so 4, 5, 6 are all the other streets...R is River.

W$SD = Won money in Show Down

WTSD = Went to show down (when I went to 7th).

3rd Street Raise is how many times i raised on 3rd street (Reraise or I raised the BI).
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bear it means, at the very least your hand reading skills are very bad. You see and understand your hand, but not the board. These stats are losers at FTP, which is where you play I think. Try Stars but I think holdem is a better choice. And remember to buckle up. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely HE is a better choice, but what's wrong with expanding my horizons [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Im not looking for a replacement for HE as that is my money maker, but when i get bored and loose attention in HE, i would like an alternative...and im not a big NLH fan.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Do these numbers represent %, dollars, or actual numbers?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your information, I don't use Poker Tracker. I have no idea what they mean. That's why I asked.

FWIW, I agree totally with the scuttlebutt I hear on you Pokercpa.