Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Default poker hurting employability?

I'm 21 and have completed my first year doing Computer Science, I really have no work history to my name.

Before college I travelled for 2 yrs doing the regular travelling type of jobs - everything from working in auction houses to planting grass - 80% of it cash in hand, and nothing I can put down as my work history.

This summer the plan was to get a job, but when it comes down to it poker has ruined any possible work ethic, I don't want to be stacking shelves in supermarkets or answering telephones, earning the same wage I could make multi-tabling $10nl. I really want to play poker for the summer - I currently wake up at 2pm for christs sake!

I'd have just turned 24 when I graduate, would this year in industry be enough to make up for a lack of work history?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: poker hurting employability?

stop being a lazy ass and get a job
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM

get a part time job so you can have the best of both worlds...i work in a restaurant at night and play poker during the day it works nicely
Old 06-29-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stop being a lazy ass and get a job

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 PM

In terms of getting a "career" job after you graduate, some crappy PT job isn't really going to help you. Look into getting an internship at a firm in a field you are interested in. This will help out MUCH more.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM

get a part-time job to help you keep a normal schedule, play poker a lot. dont lose the work ethic. youll need it to remain a good player.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 PM

this guys got it right.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 AM

You don't need to get a serious job yet, just something to prove to future employers that you want to work to earn money, they will not accept "pwning d0nkeys at 10NL" as a job.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 PM

theres many entry level jobs in comp sci. internship may help get your foot in the door
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 AM

I had a fantastic job during my last two years of college at an expensive private school. I made a nice salary, was on the way up the ladder and enjoyed myself. After three years with the company, I left due to travel requirements and some boredom/dissatisfaction with management, which was fine at the time. However, instead of searching for a position in the same field immediately thereafter, and using my experience, I took the easy, lazy way out. I took up playing full time, and working in an underground club, as well as freelance dealing Hold Em a couple of times a week.

This led to a lot of fun, a lot of relaxed sleep late days, and plenty of money. Once I moved on and fell out of touch with the place I was involved, and decided to get a real job, I found a very difficult task in front of me. The gap in my resume coupled with my attitude made it very tough to find anything meaningful and at a decent rung on the corporate ladder. I'm still dealing with the effects of being young and having neglected serious work in favor of poker. Rest assured that unless you are exceptional, the same fate can and will likely befall you. My best advice to you would be to keep poker as a hobby or a couple-of-day-a-week source of secondary income, while you concentrate on your career. Best of luck.