Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Can\'t Seem to Cut It - Newbie

Over the past several months I've grown from a slight interest in poker to having read multiple books (Little Green Book, Online Ace, etc), playing regular home games, and registering/playing in a post-Neteller online world (Full Tilt). While I do very well at my home games, consisting of experienced and educated players, I bust out at $10NL.

I think part of the problem may be linked to hesitancy to call out-of-proportion bets by casual players hitting middle-pair. I'll fold out of situations where, against any of my veteran home players, would be a horrible situation, only to find the online competition turn over bottom pair in a showdown against the guy that called his ducks to the river with a facecard-only board.

Am I a complete nit or just playing in stakes where poor play beats "educated poker"? I consitantly find myself in situations where I play aggressively to be outdrawn by a complete donator. My bankroll has dwindled to about half of what I deposited, and I'm concerned.

Sit&Go's seem to play well - although I find that I'm either 1st or 4th, with little in-between.

Any advice for an agrivated new player?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Can\'t Seem to Cut It - Newbie

Post some specific hands for some help.

Poor play will NEVER beat educated poker. Ever. You will take beats obviously, but it's just variance. Take a break and get over it. In the long term, if you make the correct decisions, you will be a winner, especially at NL10
Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Over the past several months I've grown from a slight interest in poker to having read multiple books (Little Green Book, Online Ace, etc), playing regular home games, and registering/playing in a post-Neteller online world (Full Tilt). While I do very well at my home games, consisting of experienced and educated players, I bust out at $10NL.

I think part of the problem may be linked to hesitancy to call out-of-proportion bets by casual players hitting middle-pair. I'll fold out of situations where, against any of my veteran home players, would be a horrible situation, only to find the online competition turn over bottom pair in a showdown against the guy that called his ducks to the river with a facecard-only board.

Am I a complete nit or just playing in stakes where poor play beats "educated poker"? I consitantly find myself in situations where I play aggressively to be outdrawn by a complete donator. My bankroll has dwindled to about half of what I deposited, and I'm concerned.

Sit&Go's seem to play well - although I find that I'm either 1st or 4th, with little in-between.

Any advice for an agrivated new player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice some regular NL 50 players playing NL 25 yesterday on stars. I think its possible many grinders are moving down 1 or 2 levels, make the pond a much tougher place.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:05 AM

Agree 100%. If I'm going to experience a downswing, I want it to be because I'm playing correctly, but taking the bad end of the stick of variance. If I continue to make these correct plays, I will be a long-term winner.

You definitely came to the right place. Start posting hands here for critique.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:05 AM

Even if tougher players are moving down, there is still a massive majority of horrible players that seem to beat me every time. I have some hands that I saved and will convert as soon as I can.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 AM

play tight PF.

if you think your hand is best, value bet to the max. don't be afraid to fold if OOP or facing considerable heat. remember that basically all your profit comes from you folding hands that your opponents would have gone broke with.

read both the uSNL and SSNL stickies, esp. fimbulter's post about optimal play at SSNL. post hands.

remember too that many of these players are actually very good hand readers (well, pretty good anyway) because they enter pots so often and with such trash that they have to be in order to survive. always be thinking about their range.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 AM

Full Tilt Poker
$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
BB: $10.4
UTG: $8
MP: $1.30
CO: $2.20
Hero (BTN): $10.15
SB: $23.05

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($0.15, 6 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, BB checks

Playing in a very tight pre-flop game here. I'm hunting for a flush with a limp here.

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.3, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.15</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.15

Hit TPTK - bet for information as to what my opponent is thinking here.

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] ($0.6, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.40</font>, BB calls $0.40

Same thing. I figure if he's got the Queen he'll strong-arm me and reraise. Smooth call leaves me confused.

<font color="black">River:</font> 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ($1.4, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $1.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="red">BB raises all in to $9.85</font>, Hero calls all in for $6.50

Two pair on river. I'm assuming that if he's slowplaying any other two pair I have him beat, and if he's overly excited about hitting a pair on Ax that I've got him beat as well. The only obvious exception is AQ, but this guy would have raised that pre-flop. His all-ins have previously been weak hands that he's lucked out on. I'm inclined to call as leaving this profitable situation may be part of the reason I'm not winning (folding for fear). I call.

Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 AM

Dont open limp in a shorthanded game, just don't do it. Flop bet is fine, maybe make it .20 or .25 but much of a muchness.

The river is pretty bad. Any 3 has you beat, I'd just call. Might be a bit weak though.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 AM

Raise preflop. Open limping on the button is a big mistake.

Don't raise this river either. The idea behind this is that there is no hand that you're beating that will call you. A straight will 3bet, and set will definately call, and a higher two pair will call most of the time.

Fold the river as played
Old 02-21-2007, 03:34 AM

Raise that [censored] up on the button! Don't open-limp in 6-max. Axs is a great hand to be opening for a button-raise. Betting the flop is good, but 1/2 the pot just isn't going to cut it. You're giving 3:1 odds, which means any 3 or 67 is correct in calling as long as they can win another 15 cents on the turn and river. The turn bet is fine, there's no reason to believe that villain is drawing and we want to protect our hand. We can take a free showdown on the river if we so choose. As played, the river gives you aces-up, but any 3 just made its straight, and villain is betting into you for the full pot, indicating a strong hand. I would just call here. It's unlikely you're going to get more value out of anything you beat, and villain's line is perfectly consistent with him having a 3 and hitting his straight on the river. Once he goes all-in, your two pair is toast. Calling the river push is a BIG mistake.