Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Series 6 and 63 exams

I'm going to be taking mine soon and I was just curious how difficult they are. Did anyone have a problem passing theirs or should I be ok as long as I have a general understanding of the study manual? I recently passed my property and casualty test on the first try so I feel if I could do that I should be ok with the 6 and 63 since they are similar types of tests. Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Series 6 and 63 exams

There is some information about the exams on Investopedia. I'm going to be taking the exams as soon as I find a company with a good training program. From the various sample questions I've gone over it seems pretty involved.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Read the books, take the practices tests and learn from your mistakes. I never took a class and passed 24, 7 and 63.

The practice tests are a good indicator of future performance. If you are scoring mid 70s or better you should have no problem passing the real test.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM

I took 7 63 and another one, maybe 55, i dont think 6 - 6 is mutual fund related maybe? 7 the hardest of the bunch by far i though and I overstudied. Got 89 and probably spent 75 hours studying.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM

63 is joke easy.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 AM

Bump because I have to decide Monday whether to take the test this Thursday, as scheduled, or move back the test date and delay my training. If I don't pass the 6, I'm fired automatically.

I have no background in the industry, and didn't get the book until Aug. 13. Things have been going well, and I'm scoring in the mid-80s on the practice exams I've taken the past two days. Still, I'm concerned that the questions I'm seeing (from Kaplan) don't address the difficulty of the real exam. I'm doing my best to memorize the rational and not the questions, but it's tough when you've had the question a few times and KNOW what answer is right.

Anyway, does anyone know a legit website where I can take a practice test made up of different questions? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for this. I've heard Prometric has a practice test for $25, but I can't find it.

Any help or advice would be helpful.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 AM

if you could get 80's and 90s on the practice exams you will pass it easy.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you could get 80's and 90s on the practice exams you will pass it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took 6, 63, 65, P, C, L, and H last year. On the NASD tests I was scoring low 80s on my practice tests. On the real exams I scored 87 for all three so you have nothing to worry about.

A few things that I remember: The test question difficutly work like a bell curve. They start easy and end easy with the most difficult questions in the middle.

A difference between the practice test and the real test is that the questions are worded in a different style. I think what makes the real test easier than the practice test is that the real test's wrong answers are less plausible than the practice tests; use process of elimination often.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 AM

It has been a while for me, but I passed both in the nineties. I had a some background in the industry though so it helped. You should pass if you have studied enough, but it is much easier if you come in with an understanding of the industry.

The easiest questions will be the ethical questions. In the practice exams they are often ambiguous. In the real test they were blindingly obvious, always choose the answer that is most customer friendly. Good luck to you, it is hard to be with one of those companies that fires first time failures.