Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:16 AM

Default thinking about going on The People\'s Court.

i read an article recently about/by a guy from this band Coalesce who i listened to in high school:

http://www.lawrence.com/blogs/iamthi.../peoplescourt/

he owns a print shop that makes t shirts/hats/hoodies for bands primarily. he did 2000 shirts for a band on credit and they didn't pay so he brought them on there and tried to sue their manager. manager says it's not his fault, end of story, case dismissed.

the most interesting part of the story though, is that the people's court ( or presumably any of the TV judge based shows ) will pay what you owe if you are found guilty on their show, as a way of getting you to appear on tv in the first place.

this reminded me of a case that i have, which i will now explain:

about a year ago, i was in boston hanging out with a few friends of mine who are in a fairly popular punk rock/hardcore band. they had to rent a car for the weekend to get to virginia to play a show since their van was in the shop ( they were sharing equipment with another band for that show ). i went with them to the rental agency for no particular reason.

when they got there they realized that no members of the band had a credit card on them. i offered to let them use mine to rent the car if they would pay me in cash for the amount it would cost then and there. it was like 300 dollars, they paid me, and that was that.

unfortunately one member of the band ended up having to keep the rental car for an extra 3 days. he didn't inform me of this at the time, and i ended up finding out from the rental agency when they called and asked what the problem was. i talked to him and he said that he would pay me the money back within 2 weeks ( it cost like an extra 300 for the extra 3 days he kept it ).

in addition to that, they managed to run 7 toll booths on the tour, which i obviously got the bills for. 7 x 50 dollars = 350. i was pretty upset about this, and had no clue what to think as to why they would do that. i later found out that another person who was in the band was the one who ran all the tolls. he has since left the band, and i [censored] hate him, but that's another story all together.

anyway before i was able to get the payment for the extra 3 days of having the rental car ( this was before i knew about the tickets ), the band got their van broken into and had over 3000 dollars in cash stolen from them. i didn't really feel like i should ask them for the money at that time, so i waited, and then just sort of forgot about it. it wasn't that i don't care about the money so much as that going to boston/contacting the singer ( who is in charge of the finances ) would be such a brutal pain in the ass that i just kept putting it off.

anyway as you can probably tell, my idea is to bring the singer on to the people's court. we are still friends despite all this, and it would obviously be great for both of us.

1) i get the money.

2) he doesn't have to cough up the money himself if i win, since the show will pay for it.

3) we both get to be on tv, which would be funny and a cool experience.

that is assuming they would accept us on the show. i'm pretty sure they would, this case is more interesting than the one i linked to above. if not, i'm pretty sure that judge judy/judge mathis etc work the same way.

does anyone think this plan is stupid? the only real problem i can see is that the rental agreement states that only the person who rented the car is allowed to drive it. i blatantly broke that rule, so do you think that would negate my chance of getting the money returned to me? he broke our verbal agreement by keeping the car for longer than he said he would, do you think that will be good enough to let me win? same deal regarding the toll booth tickets i suppose, i wasn't there and that breaks the rental agreement.

any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

edit: i am well aware i am an idiot for letting them rent the car in the first place, i would never do it again and definitely learned my lesson.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: thinking about going on The People\'s Court.

WTF? You never asked him for the money? Shows pay the settlements? I know nothing about law but isn't this just your word against his? Doesn't sound like you have much of a case.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? You never asked him for the money? Shows pay the settlements? I know nothing about law but isn't this just your word against his? Doesn't sound like you have much of a case.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have 3 or 4 witnesses who saw him agree to pay me the money. also keep in mind that he wants me to win, if we go on the show... since then he gets the money and he doesn't have to actually pay me.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 AM

I had no idea the shows actually pay the settlements. Even if they do, he won't have to pay you if he wins either.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 AM

Rusty's safety tip o' the day: Don't lend your credit card to punk rock musicians and be surprised when something goes awry.

It's the case of the PUNK PARIAHS AND THE NAIVE NINNY! And remember, when you have a problem, don't take the law into your own hands. Have your dispute settled here, in our forum. THE PEOPLE'S COURT!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 AM

if they feel you guys are friends and there won't be any good drama, they may not select you.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 AM

you should 100% try to do this. at the very least it will be an interesting/funny experience to see how it goes. obviously try to look very angry with the guy but get him to help throw the case. bring in a superfluous accusation of someone cheating with the other's gf.

i tried like 100 times to get a female friend to try to get on springer with me and she wouldn't do it. do this so i can live vicariously through you.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:10 PM

definately try to get on. it probably would help if the band member dresses and acts somewhat nuts. and you act like your friendship has been destroyed or something like that. just make it a big show.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 PM

Interesting info RE: People's Court from Wikipedia:

nterestingly, if a judgment is found for either party, the losing party does not actually need to pay the judgment as such. Instead (as is often stated in the disclaimer at the end of show) both parties are paid from a fund (set up by Ralph Edwards-Stu Billett Productions) for their appearance on the show. If a monetary judgment is ordered, the losing party will have the amount of their appearance fee reduced by that amount. However, to prevent anyone from getting "easy money", both the plaintiff and defendant must have a legitimate case.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting info RE: People's Court from Wikipedia:

nterestingly, if a judgment is found for either party, the losing party does not actually need to pay the judgment as such. Instead (as is often stated in the disclaimer at the end of show) both parties are paid from a fund (set up by Ralph Edwards-Stu Billett Productions) for their appearance on the show. If a monetary judgment is ordered, the losing party will have the amount of their appearance fee reduced by that amount. However, to prevent anyone from getting "easy money", both the plaintiff and defendant must have a legitimate case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if anyone has punk'd the people's court and set up a phony claim and then split the profits.