FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Help my horse (and me)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone write a pooh-bah or carpel/tunnel post on playing AK

I have a feeling that I and many other SSNLers are missing out on profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Just play it like the nuts preflop or when you flop TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Play it like the nuts preflop? AK is a trouble hand in a reraised pot. Against a normal TAG, it's probably best to fold to a re-raise when you're OOP preflop.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
someone write a pooh-bah or carpel/tunnel post on playing AK

I have a feeling that I and many other SSNLers are missing out on profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Just play it like the nuts preflop or when you flop TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what I do (recent uNL AKs posted hand not included)

Somedays I think that some of the guys posting here are running waaaaaaaaay hotter than I do and think thats normal - or I am just running very cold for the past 75k hands or so.

Usually I come to my senses and remember that I suck a lot and have lots still to learn tho and thats much more likely to be the root cause of my break even-ness.

Altho if I AM running cold - and I start running normally soon- then 2007 is going to be a sweet year.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:39 AM

i think someone would have to pay me a lot of money to write an AK post.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I Raise and take down the blinds or take down the pot on the flop with a CB and this is a huge chunk of the monies I've won with AK.

So sometimes I play AK really badly - most of the time I play it goot - but I shall take note of what Matt and Sunny have to say about AK and hopefully my results will improve.

0.13BB/hand is worse than 23s over the same hand sample!

[/ QUOTE ]

Matrix, you gonna like the AK section.

It's very interesting. AK was always 3rd-5th in my databases for most profitable hand (it was always AA>KK>next, with next bouncing from QQ, JJ, AK, and for a long stretch 88). I played it relatively passively. Sunny plays it actively and does a little better, but he plays it with a twist that may not apply for all players. Sunny has influenced my play of AK, and now live I play 'em sunny side up.

This coyness sucks. We need to submit this manuscript so we can discuss this stuff straight out. It's gotta be in the bookstore before we can present it in the forums.

Major goal of book # whatever: Get everyone on SSNL winning a lot with AK.

Matt
Old 01-07-2007, 05:30 AM

Matt,
If you don't mind, could you answer just two quick questions about the book.

1) I say that the first volume will be out around March or April. Do you have an ETA on the second? Is it already completed or is it yet to be finished?

2) Will the volumes be set up like Harrington's? As in, will preflop/flop play be mainly addressed in the first, then turn/river in the second?

T
Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 AM

lol, theres no magical way to play AK, you just have to apparently be Canadian like smellmuth!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt,
If you don't mind, could you answer just two quick questions about the book.

1) I say that the first volume will be out around March or April. Do you have an ETA on the second? Is it already completed or is it yet to be finished?

2) Will the volumes be set up like Harrington's? As in, will preflop/flop play be mainly addressed in the first, then turn/river in the second?

T

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Volume 2 is not written, but several chapters are drafted. They were booted from volume 1 due to space constraints.

2. Not quite. Preflop-to-Flop Play is in volume 1. We'll discuss turn and river as an extension of what happens earlier in a hand. That play may or may not make it into volume 2. The table of contents is fluid. We'll have the author/editor meeting once we submit volume 1's manuscript to firm that up.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

volume one includes fundamentals, hand examples, preflop-to-flop play, and core concepts where we introduce lots of new ideas and work through hands to show you what you should be doing.....we do of course hit on concepts that apply to all streets, and many examples show hands all the way through from preflop to river....however, I do suspect volume two will be heavier on postflop play....but as Matt mentioned, we haven't finalized the table of contents for that yet.....

what might be cool is if after Volume One is out, we ask the forum what they'd like to see us tackle or elaborate on in Volume Two......
Old 01-07-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we ask the forum what they'd like to see us tackle or elaborate on in Volume Two......

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome...I hope you include the best strategy to employ when battling 5 year olds in volume 2.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Matt and Sunny,
Thank you for the answers. I can't wait for the book and am looking forward to reading it.