Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Help my horse (and me)

[ QUOTE ]

how do you write a poem?

[/ QUOTE ]

i) choose a subject matter
ii) decide what you want to say about your subject matter - a broad stroked 25000 ft birds eye view (assuming the bird is wearing glasses that make things look kind of fuzzy)
iii) write lots of One line statements about i) in a brainstroming session.
iv) leave well alone for a day or 2
v) read through your brainstormed lines - decide which ones you still like enough to use - expand on the ideas and add some colour and shading and detail
vi) edit, arrange and assemble your lines into a poem - paying attention to flow, pacing, rhythm, intonation and phrasing
vii) leave well alone some more
viii) come back fresh, reread, reedit and rewrite as you feel neccesary - repeat step viii until the deadline arrives or you think it's finished whichever is sooner.

Kind of similar to writing a book only not as long and drawn out.

[ QUOTE ]
despite the zen koan sound of that statement, fact is you can win with AK in several different ways. sunny and i play AK very differently. but sunny's got me coming around to his way of thinking. it's his way we'll present in the book

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me it's in vol 1.

[ QUOTE ]
man i want you guys to make money off the ideas in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not the only one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

meanwhile here is a short poem.

Matt Flynn help us win.
Show us a new way to play
post flop, with AK.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]

please tell me it's in vol 1.

Matt Flynn help us win.
Show us a new way to play
post flop, with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matrix you will taste it.
AK in volume one
which is almost done.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just sounds like typical poker player b.s.

[/ QUOTE ]

guys,

That's the whole thing is that this business is full of b.s. - it's up to the individual to determine how to wade through it. Even if Matt and I rattled off a bunch of winrate and dollar numbers, it still doesn't make it a fact or mean that everyone or anyone would (or should) believe it.

Our book will speak for itself. (Just like our advice on this forum.) It's up to the reader to determine what they can use. While I can CERTAINLY understand that anyone considering advice should want to know the credibility of the source, I think we all know that that's why we're here - because 2+2's credibility as a poker educator is second to none. It's why their books sell better than every other poker publishing house, and why we all keep coming back to these forums!

Lucky, I know your question was totally meant with good intentions, so this isn't at all directed at you personally. I just wanted to nip the subject in the bud right now. Matt is free to divulge as much about his poker or personal life as he wants, but I know I certainly wouldn't give detailed financial information about myself. It's not really anyone's business but mine. Besides, I could tell you that I've played and beaten online NL games from $.50/$1 to $25/$50 at an excellent winrate for hundreds of thousands of hands, or that I lived in Las Vegas and played 40 hours a week, or that I've spent the last three years making a six-figure salary solely from playing no-limit hold'em, but really, who cares? A lot of great players have written crappy books, so I personally would rather let my book do the talking.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-S

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutey, no disrepect intended and I will for sure buy the book as i did the miller/sklansky nl book and many others. Also, i dont give out detailed financial info. But it would be nice to hear, 'im a semi regular in the x/y game at full tilt. I dont give out sn, but many hear know me. Either way, no worries, look forward to book.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(For those of you who are curious, I gave up online poker last spring. The video game + poker addiction aspect was interfering with sleep -- I couldn't sleep well after playing -- so I quit. And for those of you who have to hear it, yes, I won a lot and still could easily.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i'm curious what level did you beat and for how many PTbb/100?

You're obviously a respected poster and now author, its just that i've never heard of anyone quitting poker 'cold turkey' while beating big games for 'a lot.'

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume he just quit and lays around his house doing nothing, which isn't what he said.

Diablo, for example, was a winning 50/100 player who quit to go into venture capitalism. More accurately, he invested his bankroll in founding a business, after which he no longer had the time/roll to play the big game.

Now I only played $1/$2, but I played it pretty heavily, and I've "quit" as well -- or, again, more accurately, I cashed out about 30k to pay for this "MBA" thing that will probably end up dwarfing my poker winnings, and now I've got like $500 left to play with online, but no time, thanks to that grad school thing. And little inclination to play the games I am rolled for (can't muster the emotion to grind 25NL in the 4 hours/week I have time to play, if that).

My point is, winning players "quit" all the time. To start businesses, write books, go to grad school, become traders on wall street, or just because they cannot stand poker anymore because it bores them. Dunno which is Matt's excuse [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought matt was a doctor and budding real estate mogul, so absolutely it would make sense for him to play less as other avenues increase in profitability. Its just the 'quit completely' part i found odd. I figured maybe like El D, he ran into tough times at bigger games, got frustrated, etc.

As for you, and others who "cash out to cover expenses," I'm not buying it. You're pretty smug about this 'mba thing' but it really sounds like you were doing well, then started losing a bit, and did the smart thing by cashing out money you might lose. If not, then why on earth leave yourself a 500 roll, when a larger roll would allow you to make more than any part time job you'll have in grad school. Its like a farmer selling his tractor, a carpenter his tools, etc. Again, just sounds like typical poker player b.s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I make 90k a year at Microsoft. I'm not worried about my "part-time job" not being more money than poker.

Your post shows a lot of ignorance about finances. If you think my leaving myself 10-20k to play poker with is worth not going to grad school, which will bump my earnings by 50% a year for the rest of my life, then you seriously overvaluate how much money can be made at NL200.

And there's no point in leaving myself any roll when, as I said, I will have no time to play. I work 40 hours a week, then I have 12 a week in class, then I have about 15 a week in homework, then the girlfriend wants to spend time with me, and I'm supposed to let 10k sit around in Neteller earning no interest, while I take out a 10k loan and pay 7% interest to pay for grad school, just so I can play 1 or 2 hours of NL200 a week?

Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Maybe I could have moved up to 2/4 and later 3/6 and later 5/10 and 10/20 and earned (someday) as much as the MBA will earn for me. But excuse me if I'd rather pursue a dream of founding my own business and earning millions of dollars a year doing something big in business.

You act like poker will go away if I don't play it for 18 months or something.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:43 PM

AKo and AKs are both huge winners for me through 200k hands at SSNL, everyone who is losing with them is playing them really bad.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sunny,

We don't care about your online winrate. We just want to know how you fair against David, Mason and Ray Zee at the 2+2 Sunday home game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easy. David would play two hands then spend the rest of the night betting horses, making various phone calls, and hooking up with young women. Ray Zee has almost no self control and would play 70-80% of hands and likely go bust in a few orbits, then pull the old scam where he tries to exchange Montana currency for American money. "No, Ray, I do not want to buy a gen-u-ine beaver pelt." That would leave Mason and Sunny heads up, at which point it'd be all about game selection, with the edge to Mason unless David's girlfriend were sweating him, because she has serious tells.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you asked how to write a poem. This! This is poetry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AKo and AKs are both huge winners for me through 200k hands at SSNL, everyone who is losing with them is playing them really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh there's a sweeping generalisation.

present db just hit 37221 hands...

AKo 382times (so it's running hot)

0.13BB/hand

in those 382 times I've won a 100BB stack *twice*[both times getting it all in pre] (usually I raise preflop and fold everyone at the table)

I've lost 100BB+ with AK 8 times - 3 times I overplayed TPTK Post and have only myself to blame so thats ~400BB I could have saved - 3 times I got coolered and lost while the money went in ahead (~300BB) - and a couple of times I got out flopped and paid off a set with top 2 - and paid off some guy with A4o who called a HUGE raise pre and hit an A4x flop and I didn't improve.

having just flipped thru my AK hands I'd guesstimate that a little over 1/3 of the money I lost with AK was poor play, the remainder was just getting sucked out on or putting money in effectively drawing dead to a maniac who happens to have flopped one of the 2 hands that beat me...

and ~1/3 of my winnings with AK are when i got lucky and sucked out on the villain - (usually happens preflop - where I get all-in vs KK and flop an Ace) mostly I seem to get lucky and hit my outs in smaller pots - and do badly in the luck dept in the huge pots.

Most of the time I Raise and take down the blinds or take down the pot on the flop with a CB and this is a huge chunk of the monies I've won with AK.

So sometimes I play AK really badly - most of the time I play it goot - but I shall take note of what Matt and Sunny have to say about AK and hopefully my results will improve.

0.13BB/hand is worse than 23s over the same hand sample!

(yes obv my sample here is quite small - hopefully in 100k hands time I'll be making more than 0.13BB/hand)
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM

AK is a huge winner for me too. AKs is actually my 3rd biggest winner over 28k hands of 100NL: 2.59 BB/hand. AKo is at 1.6 BB/hand. I've lost near 100BB stacks three times. Twice I ran into aces preflop (slightly tilted pushes), one time I lost to QJ AI preflop. Other than that I seem to mostly lose around 20-30BB when I reraise preflop, and get my c-bet called. I've had a few 100BB wins with just TPTK after I reraise preflop, so that makes up for the times I whiff.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:04 AM

someone write a pooh-bah or carpel/tunnel post on playing AK

I have a feeling that I and many other SSNLers are missing out on profit
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
someone write a pooh-bah or carpel/tunnel post on playing AK

I have a feeling that I and many other SSNLers are missing out on profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Just play it like the nuts preflop or when you flop TPTK.