Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 AM

Default theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

Well, here's my log. Goes back about 2 months.

I used to pwn at sports, but I've been pretty much sedentary for the last 3-4 years.

I decided to do the Starting Strength program after hearing all the praise on the internet. It divides the exercises into two workouts, with three workouts performed per week on non-consecutive days. I workout sunday-tuesday-thursday

Each workout consists of three exercises, and focuses heavily on "ass-to-grass" squats, and consists of compound movements only. Lifting heavy weights for few sets and reps, and adding weight each workout are also goals of the program.

Workout A
Squat 3x5 (3 sets of five)
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Powercleans/Pendlay Rows 3x5

I just started doing powercleans, because I thought it would be best to work on form for deadlift and squats first before I attempted this difficult movement. I'm not sure if I should be doing sets of five for powercleans
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Key:
S=squat
B=bench press
DL=deadlift
P=overhead press
PR=pendlay rows
PC=power cleans
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/8
S: 135x5x3
B: 155x5x3
DL: I must have skipped them or was unsure how to do them at this point

2/10
S: 145x5 -> 145x4 -> 135x5. Apparently my form was bad, so I backed off.
B: 135x5 -> 145x5 -> 155x5.

I think I was trying to find my limit, but I also injured myself a couple weeks after this, so I was probably ramping up too quick. It's better to progress at a reasonable pace than jump too quick and get stuck/injured. Also, I wasn't really following the program at this point. But that's okay, I needed some breakin time for my body.

2/13
B: 165x5 -> 160x5x2. Once again, I push it too far.

2/15
P: 85x5x3. I noted that this was difficult, so I probably pushed it too much here.
DL: 135x5x1. First time doing them.

2/17
S: 145x5x3
I split my shorts doing squats so I had to go home and couldn't finish my workout. If the goddamned gym had some tape I would have just taped it up.

2/20
S: 155x5x3. I've added ten pounds the last two workouts. Perhaps I should have taken it slower.
B: 155x5x3, some pain in my left shoulder/arm area during warmups.
DL: 155x5x1

2/22
S: 160x5x3, some weirdness in knee during warmup
P: 95x4 -> 85x5x2. Too greedy.
PR: 85x5 -> 90x5 -> 95x5. First time doing PR's, trying to find my numbers. Felt good, I think form was good.

2/24
S: 165x5x3
B: 160x5x3, more pain during warmups that slowly "went away". I was performing bench with bad form. Elbows should NOT point perpendicular to the length of your body, they should point somewhere between perpendicular and parallel to your body.
DL: 160x5x1

2/27
S: 170x5x3
P: 90x5x3
PR: 100x5x3

2/29
S: 175x5x3
B: 165x5x2. I hurt my arm/shoulder here. I'll leave bench alone for awhile. Perhaps I should consider dumbbells?
DL: 170x5, 170x3. Not sure why I did an extra set, perhaps because I didn't finish bench?

3/4
S: 175x5x3. I noted that I used bad form. Not sure what exactly.
P: 90x5x3. I will replace bench press with overhead press for awhile.
PR: 125x5x3

3/6
S: 155x5x3. Backed off to work on form.
P: 95x5x3
DL: 175x5

3/8
S: 175x5x3
P: 100x5x3
PR: 130x5x3

missed a week due to food poisoning

3/15 Really tired from puking last week.
Front Squat: 135x5x3. My hands hurt more than my legs were sore
P: 105x2 -> 100x5x2
PR: 125x5x3

3/18
S: 175x5x3. I worked on stretching quite a bit. It helped.
B: 155x5x3. First time doing bench since getting hurt. Changed my form. I was a little squirrely on the last set.
DL: 185x5

3/20
S: 180x5x3. Felt good. Knee feels good tonight. We'll see tomorrow.
P: 105x5x3. I really enjoy this exercise. It's pretty tough.
PC: 65x5x1 -> 85x5x1 -> 95x5x3. Not sure if my form is good or not. Will have to reread Starting Strength. I am sore as a [censored] though. I think 5 reps is pushing it, perhaps I should break it down into 5 sets of 3??? Stick it out?

Anyways, I'll update again on thursday.

I've learned a couple things about myself by writing this up. I should focus on slower steadier gains and not jump around so much. I've got to get rid of my ego. I think I see all these dudes lifting much more than me and it pushes me to do stupid things. It has set me back more than once already.

My gym only has down to 2.5lb weights, so I will soon have to come up with some microloading solutions. I saw one cheap hack that uses a loop of chains. ANybody else got any bright ideas?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

[ QUOTE ]

I've learned a couple things about myself by writing this up. I should focus on slower steadier gains and not jump around so much. I've got to get rid of my ego. I think I see all these dudes lifting much more than me and it pushes me to do stupid things. It has set me back more than once already.

My gym only has down to 2.5lb weights, so I will soon have to come up with some microloading solutions. I saw one cheap hack that uses a loop of chains. ANybody else got any bright ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing SS and have these exact same problems. My bench is so weak compared to where I've been in the past & what I see other people that I just want to jump up in weight; it's taking a lot of will power to just stay steady and keep good form.

My gym's got some pretty big clamps for holding the weights on the bar, I wonder if those might be a pound or so, I could use those to micro-weight.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM

theblackkeys,

It's recommended that when doing power cleans you break it up into smaller sets (5x3) because it is a much more technical lift and form can really disintegrate as you get deeper into those sets.

It's also much smarter to start at a ridiculously low weight (like practically even the bar itself) because it calls for such rapid weight increases. But you know that already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, in general the notation for lifts is sets x reps x weight. 3x5x180 is 3 sets of 5 reps at 180lbs. I'm mentioning that because for a second I thought you were doing 5 sets of 3 reps of power clean, but you're not. So when I said 5x3, I mean 5 sets of 3 reps.

Nice job. Take it steady on the injuries though.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to use a pair of adjustable ankle weights like these on the bar.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Wow, this is a really good basic program. I'm not sure why I haven't come across it in its official form before.

You seem to have the right idea about staying within yourself at first to avoid injuries and setbacks blackkeys, good job. Don't worry too much about the smaller weight increments either. On these bigger lifts it isn't that big of a deal percentage wise to bump it up 5 pounds instead of 2.5 pounds.

And please, don't be afraid to ask a total stranger for a spot. If they say no, so what? Just bash the jerk over the head with an EZ curl bar when he starts his next set of cable curls.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theblackkeys,

It's recommended that when doing power cleans you break it up into smaller sets (5x3) because it is a much more technical lift and form can really disintegrate as you get deeper into those sets.

It's also much smarter to start at a ridiculously low weight (like practically even the bar itself) because it calls for such rapid weight increases. But you know that already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, in general the notation for lifts is sets x reps x weight. 3x5x180 is 3 sets of 5 reps at 180lbs. I'm mentioning that because for a second I thought you were doing 5 sets of 3 reps of power clean, but you're not. So when I said 5x3, I mean 5 sets of 3 reps.

Nice job. Take it steady on the injuries though.

[/ QUOTE ]
ah, ok ,I'll change my notation around.

I think I'll do 5 sets of 3 for power cleans, instead of 3 sets of 5.

Also, knees feel good today.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM

cbloom,

I think weights aren't very exact in the gym either. Like those 45lbs plates have a little give each way. So I wouldn't sweat very minimal increases on large compound lifts.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Thremp -- Rippetoe's Starting Strength is very particular about linear progression so the goal is to increase the weight every workout, even if it's only by adding 2.5 lbs. to a lift. This becomes esp. important when you get stuck at a certain weight.

Personally, without microplates I'm having a hard time making progress with my overhead press because 100 lbs. is okay for me but 105 lbs. is not quite there. I wouldn't mind having an in-between.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp -- Rippetoe's Starting Strength is very particular about linear progression so the goal is to increase the weight every workout, even if it's only by adding 2.5 lbs. to a lift. This becomes esp. important when you get stuck at a certain weight.

Personally, without microplates I'm having a hard time making progress with my overhead press because 100 lbs. is okay for me but 105 lbs. is not quite there. I wouldn't mind having an in-between.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, right now for me, deadlifts and squats are not hard to add 5 pounds at a time to. Bench and overhead press are hard for me jump like that.

How explosive is your overhead press?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 PM

I don't know if I would call it explosive, but it's as explosive as it's going to get until I start struggling at the end of a set and I have to push through a sticking point. Keep in mind that this is all done with zero leg movement whatsoever -- doing it with leg movement to help you get it up would make it a push press or something along those lines and would make it more explosive.