Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Razz with Queen\'s wild (lc)

I agree a lot of people play stud when it is a razz rotation. In this case the guy knew it was razz, but didn't know the rules. I grant you the guy should have started off at a play money table if he didn't know the rules. I guess where it is kind of an angle shoot to me is on 5th and 6th street when the guy capped and he didn't say anything.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Yeah, it was obvious he thought it was a high game and (probably) that his queen really was wild. I didn't say anything else during the hand, but immediately after I did tell him razz is a lowball game. He didn't seem to care all the much -- sat with $50, lost it all in about an hour, chatted quite a bit and said "Thanks for the lesson" to the table when he busted. I mean, this is 1-2, not $5-10. It's interesting, I've actually written about angleshooting, and am pretty strict on it, but coffeehousing really doesn't bother me. It's pretty obvious in a game of decption that you can't believe your opponent about what he has, or the rules of the game, or pretty much anything during a hand. Now at showdown, in a live game, I think it's absolutely an angle to deliberately miscall your hand or say "you win" to try to get an opponent to muck. But even there, it's still on opponent to hold his cards until he actually sees he is beat.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:05 PM

If you make an obviuos sucker play at a guy he might get pissed and leave. If he's dumb enough to think he's playing Queens wild online, you want him to hang around all night.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM

I agree people have to take personal responsibility. Guess my biggest problem is that no one else said anything.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you make an obviuos sucker play at a guy he might get pissed and leave. If he's dumb enough to think he's playing Queens wild online, you want him to hang around all night.

[/ QUOTE ]
or at least until he sobers up
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM

It wasn't done in a mean spirited way and he didn't take it that way -- he stayed at the table for almost an hour more. Remember, this is 1-2 limit HORSE. While everyone is trying to win, it's mainly a recreational game and the money involved isn't very significant for most of the players.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't done in a mean spirited way and he didn't take it that way --

[/ QUOTE ]When I first read this I thought it was pretty dickish myself. But then, I thought it was joke gone awry. I've seen players come into Razz trnys who play this way, like it's Stud hi, I've never seen anyone correct them.

I think poker ethics is even thornier than day-to-day ethics. It is not our job to rescue anyone at the table, generally. But it is unacceptable to purposely lead them astray - except in getting them to misjudge our hands.

Maybe we need to give the OP a break, here?