Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: QTs Live

[ QUOTE ]
whoever said that the turn bet isn't going to get anyone to fold must not play live much. Most live low limit players will peel the flop with just about any 2 cards, but will fold to continued aggression on the big bet streets - as obv happened here. I don't think the turn bet is a mistake as you thinned the field which improves your winning chances and your pot equity and gives you a free showdown if your hand doesn't improve. A check on the turn makes your hand look like AK or something else that missed the flop. A check on the turn also gives someone else a free card to complete their straight or 2 pair and makes the river difficult to play. FWIW - assuming you checked the river, I play it the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i think many folks are thinking too much about online play in this hand (like the likelihood of getting CR'd on the turn, players peeling tightly on the flop, etc).
Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whoever said that the turn bet isn't going to get anyone to fold must not play live much. Most live low limit players will peel the flop with just about any 2 cards, but will fold to continued aggression on the big bet streets - as obv happened here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not have said it better myself.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM

My personal lower limit on this kind of PF raise is QJs but I like stretching things a little live because of the rush factor. I do not believe in rushes, but other players sure do!

The turn raise is the question mark. Is that raise too far out of your playing character? And what hand do you put SB on? You just got bet into. Is SB holding a J and testing you to determine whether you AK or JJ+? That's very standard. So I like the raise for deception because of position and I'll find out where I stand with SB. If he doesn't fold, he is likely to have a Jack. If he 3 bets me, he has 2 pairs or better.

On the turn I take the free card I set up because my best explanation of SB's betting pattern is that SB could well have me beat with a Jack.

If SB then pounces on the river and bets out, that would tend to the confirm the Jack. The pot is now smaller and I can choose to call it down or let it go. Given SB's tendency to show down marginal stuff, I'd probably call. But if I played it this way and SB bets out the river, I think he has the Jack.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I take the free card I set up because my best explanation of SB's betting pattern is that SB could well have me beat with a Jack.

If SB then pounces on the river and bets out, that would tend to the confirm the Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant let three players see the river for free. Pots big, no need to worry about getting the SB to bluff the river. Bet the turn to force out any lose peelers who dont realize they've got great odds and then check behind UI on the river
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn check. If anyone calls the flop raise, they probably have you beat and there really isn't any reason to throw more money at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only one I'd worry about is the flop bettor.

b
Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 AM

With your image in that game (HG right), I would call the flop and raise any turn that blanked or improved me. Also, the river is a value bet against this clown.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:03 AM

Bernie,

Given the read, my guess is that he's showing down any pair and could have any 1 pair hand here. Probably likes to gamble it up on early/cheap streets and takes extra bets on big streets seriously, but tends to just showdown his crap when it has a 1 in 100 shot of winning.

That said, no way we can fold here, so I'm putting in an extra bet somewhere to give me an extra shot at winning the pot and put a little doubt in the heads of my opponents because I'm the table squeezer. Given the flop action, I think the turn is the spot to do it. It won't happen often, but I think we get someone else to fold a hand as strong as Jx often enough to have value.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:12 AM

To me this is a straightforward free card play. We're getting 14-1 to draw to 2pr, trips, or a backdoor straight with position. Raising seems clear. At the magnificent HG someone probably snuck in there with a weak jack, and catching something on the turn or riv is about your only chance I think.

As played check the river.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 AM

Uhhh.... so many turn cards will be so ugly. Anyway, it's silly to think Jx or better is out if the table action bets and is just called on two streets. This is exactly the kind of spot where a weak hand ends up scooping a big pot on the river after two blanks drop.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh.... so many turn cards will be so ugly. Anyway, it's silly to think Jx or better is out if the table action bets and is just called on two streets. This is exactly the kind of spot where a weak hand ends up scooping a big pot on the river after two blanks drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so wrong it hurts. OP raised in late position after a bunch of limpers. SB bet out on the flop into 4 people, including the preflop raiser. This represents top pair or better a large portion of the time.

Sure, SB could have middle pair with backdoor draws or an OESD that they are playing strongly, but statistically fewer players bet here with those. It is absolutely not likely that the callers have a J, but that doesn't mean the SB doesn't.