Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Best fighting style for real-life situations

[ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to think that anyone practicing martial arts who doesn't do MMA does not practice against resisting opponents, or has not had any fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is definitely true. Just because someone hasn't appeared on PPV, people think they aren't battle tested. LOL.

My current (and now my only) jeet kune do instructor is under Mark Stewart, who is under Ted Wong. He's very very very good. I sparred with him about six weeks ago. I felt like a lowly human security guard getting worked by Trinity from the matrix. Everytime I tried to kick him, he would deflect my kick with his own kick, and kick ME at the same time. It must have appeared that I was moving in slow motion to him. Partly, this is because he is FAST and has a great structure, but it's also partly do to how much damn fighting he has done. He is able to pick up on my motions, and see me telegraphing my intentions before I launch my attack.

Also, when I would closed in to punch, he would either intercept me with a kick or crash my attack, and get me into a clinch, and knee my in the face. Good times.

He's also a cop. I feel lucky to train with him.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
say you are in a war and really wanna kill or disabilitate someone 1vs1, both unarmed, wich style is the best to know?

I've seen a LOT of people say that Brasilian Jiu Jitsu is best because it wins alot at UFC and all, also some people say Muay thai is good, but It's hard to believe all those fancy bruce-lee kung fu/shaolin styles are not at all effective. and If jiujitsu is best is that what they teach in the military?

[/ QUOTE ]
Muay Thai isnt really fancy. Its just kick boxing.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Except that from my experience with the Muay Thai style of
fighting, is that it is close to worthless against
strong opponents. The kicks are fast, yes, but they
lack the kind of power to really stop anyone strong.

[/ QUOTE ]
If a person really knows how to throw a thai kick, then it's going to be the equivalent of hitting someone with a 50 pound baseball bat being swung about 60-80 mph. These kicks kill people, they break legs, and they crack ribs. I'm sure your kicks are strong as hell, and given they are straight on going for the face they hurt, but a small sidestep while shooting is just going to make your strike glance off them, where a thai kick to the upper thigh will break the leg of a guy who hasn't been trained to absorb them, or it will dislocate their hip if its a kick to the inner thigh.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what I was going to say.